• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Backagain

HERE'S GOOD STRIPER NEWS

10 posts in this topic

Stripers - Healthy Stock, Total Abundance, High Recruitment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scientific evidence presented to ASMFC's Striped Bass Management Board indicates that management under Amend.6 of the Striped Bass Management Plan continues to be a success. The virtual population analysis(VPA) estimates the resource remains at a high level of abundance at 65.3 million fish, 10% higher than the average stock size for the past five years. Female spawning stock biomass is estimated at 55 million pounds which is well above the target and threshold levels of 38.6 and 30.9 million pounds.

Recruitment of young fish (age 1) at 12.7 million is very close to the average recruitment observed since the stocks were declared recovered in 1995. Expanded tagging studies estimate that striped bass abundance may actually be higher than the VPA estimates.

The stock is not overfished and overfishing is not occurring with 2004 fishing mortality below the amendment threshold of 0.41. Total catch has risen to 5.2 million fish, a 33% increase since implementation of the amendment in 2003. Recreational harvest and discards accounted for 72.5 % of the total mortality, with the majority of the harvest made by anglers in Virginia, New Jersey, Maryland, Massachusetts and North Carolina. Commercial catch/discards has risen slightly to 1.42 million fish with Maryland commercial fisheries accounting for half the harvest.

Based on the advice of the scientists of the Technical Committee, the Board has ok'd maintaining the state's current management programs. scientists will continue to monitor the stock and refine stock assessment methodology as necessary. The next peer-reviewed stock assessment is scheduled for 2007.

The complete stock assessment is available on the Commission web site at: www.asmfc.org.

Thanks Bill,

I appreciate your keeping us up to date on issues that affect us...

Very Good News!

I found a nice table of regs in that document that others might find interesting.

Seems most States are on the same page as far as Size & Bag Limits.

State Regulations

I was told/ and read, that they are measuring the stocks differently this year

so that it seems like there is more than past years. I totally think that they

have it backwards, there are fewer large stripers around and the forage is

down so the big fish stay off shore. don't always believe what Big Brother

tells us.

Bob,

The "new" way they measure just has a few more parameters than the old. Actually, theused both methods and the results were within .001 of each other, so they decided to go with the new expanded methodology.

Not every area of the coast is going to experience the same fising. Last year, I thought Cape Cod catches were down considerably from the year before and there were no 50 pounders report. This year, I found the fishing much improved, both in numbers and in larger fish and there were 11 fish over 50 from Cape waters. Go figure.

I will for sure fish with you at the inlet this year, I have been wanting to for a number of years and we can't seem to get together. I also heard of a # of 50's from the cape and 2, 60's + I believe Tony S. & Tony C. were the 2 who got the 60's

I didn't realize that they were .001 different never mind

Wait, didn't Striper's Forever say the stripers are in trouble and that stocks are way down? Who do we belive? (This is a rhetorical question).

:blink: Stripers are up but what about forage for those stripers eels in trouble heron and they have to eat something not just plastic :fish: