• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Backagain

Here Comes Your Saltwater License

27 posts in this topic

I got a look at the Magnuson Re-Authorization bill last night at a CC Salties meeting. The bill is scheduled to be taken up by House and Senate early in 2006.

One key section is on what they call 'Registration' of Saltwater Anglers.

Basically, what it says is that if a state does not have a SW license and doesn't enact one within a year, all recreational anglers will be required to carry a federal license.

Not the exact wording, but I'm sure you get the point.

And what state will not enact a license if the alternative is to see $ go to Washington ?

Food for thought.

post-8-1135865141_thumb.jpg

One word says it all, that SUCK'S once again something we have to pay for. It's tough enough gas bait and beer cost a small fortune now this. It just never ends for the working class they have to screw with the one thing we all here enjoy.

Some states have had saltwater licenses for a while now. It is inevitable. If the price is the same, wouldn't a federal license be better for us in New England (would states accept "out-of-state" licenses?). I had to get a temporary license in Florida to fish from the surf. Imagine needing a sperate one from ME, MA, NH, RI & CT. :blink:

I had posted a similar topic back in the spring. A state-by-state license could be brutal for those of us (like me) who fish in multiple NE states. I might be naive, but I wouldn't mind a reasonably priced federal license (30 bucks or so, similar to freshwater) if you knew the majority of the funds were going to conservation, clean water, groups like Trout Unlimited, etc. However, I feel that it would just add to the bureaucracy that our govt. has become, both in Mass. and Washington......

Groups like Trout Unlimited don't get any $ from Freshwater Licenses. Why would you want them to have $ from Saltwater Licenses? What does TU do for saltwater fishing?

I wonder who will enforce the new license I never see EPO's now?

I wonder if it will cut the fishing pressure down any?

It doesn't mater to me I will do what ever it is to be legal.

If the price is not too high and the money goes back to helping the fisheries, I am all for it. We always want to take and take but this could be a chance for fishermen to give directly back to the oceans. It definitely would be a hassel, though, to have to purchase a license for multiple states. Maybe they could let all the bait & tackle stores sell them then it would be much more convenient. You could also have the season, week, weekend, day passes at different prices.

Like most documents, the devil is in the details and/or fine print. :blink:

Bill, thanks again for keeping us up on this kinda stuff.

Scoobe,

I agree. I was speaking in GENERAL terms when I mentioned TU. I don't think any sportsman could come up with a valid argument that they couldn't afford the extra 30 bucks (assuming it's something in that area) for the enjoyment we all get out of striper fishing. I don't mind paying for licenses as long as some of the money goes towards the environment. I'm no treehugger, but another thing that is being tossed around Capital Hill is the privatization of our national parks. Who'd like to visit the TD Banknorth White Mountain National Forest?

I may be wrong but if I remember this correctly didn't Romney take all of the money collected from sportsmans fees and such and put it in the general tax fund?

He did it but it caused a tremendous outcry from most of us and the atty general threatened to sue him so the funds were returned.

Yeah, but get an atty gen who is in the guv's back pocket and you think there would have been anything done? I fished surf in Fla, Ct, Me, Nh, Ma and never once have I seen any game official in all that time. Maybe the time has come for everyone to say the hell with any license. Can you see it now? Arresting everyone on Plum Island cause they didn't have a license?

You know and I know it is just a rip-off and another means to steal money from your wallet. It is just about the last "free" thing we can do without being taxed or have to pay for. Although we still ARE paying to fish ie: bait, plugs, rods, reels, gas etc. at least one feels a sense of doing something enjoyable that you don't have to pay for to enjoy.

I have never broken a law when it comes to fishing but this just might be my first time to do so. I am plain tired of paying for recreational stuff that never required payment before. Life is stressful enough and you would think that these SOB'S would leave alone the one thing that doesn't cost anything.

And PLEASE! Don't try to say the money will be put back into the fishery, the ocean, access for fishing etc. If you believe that, I got a bridge to sell ya.

That's a hell of an attitude, JC.

Last time I looked, the feds were doing a pretty good job of returning our excise tax on sporting goods $ to the states through Wallops/Breaugh, Dingle-Johnson and the Sportfish & Wildlife Restoration Fund. Same could be done with license revenues.

In theads similar to this on Flyfishsaltwaters.com, Reel-Time.com, Striped-Bass.com and Stripersurf.com the comments are running 8-1 in favor of a saltwater license.

I think it's ok to have a federal license as long as its affordable and the money

is used for restocking and cleaning up the beaches. I'll pay it just like I buy a

fresh water license even when I don't fresh water fish. Its nice to know they're

around if I would like to catch them.

If every one takes from the pot and no one puts in sooner or later you'll

have an empty pot. I don't think any of us want that.

Backagain, it's not an attitude, it's being tired. Tired of the govt, businesses, the states, towns etc. doing whatever they can to squeeze the average person for every buck they can. You can tell me about all the funds going here and there but I see it as just another way to squeeze you. Maybe I am getting old and grumpy but I do not for one see how it is going to benefit the "average" person surf fishing. Is it going to get us new beaches to fish? Is it going to have wardens on the beaches regularly to check people out to stop short fish from being taken? Is it going to be used to buy up lands to give us easier and better access to places? Are they going to close sections of beaches for surfers only? It won't prevent people from still fishing cause it won't be policed anyway.

It reminds me of the sticker you now have to pay for in Me in addition to your boating registration. Millfoil awareness sticker. Just another means to get more money out of the recreational person.

It's not an attitude, it's just being upset that now you will pay for something that was a pleasurable FREE thing to do. We aren't Fl where we have beach anywhere you go and can just pull over and fish away. We don't have fishing piers set up throughout the states, we are limited to the time of year we can actually fish as well. Most places you have to pay to park now too. Are they going to have the bathers get a license? When they do that, maybe I will be more receptive to another tax, cause that is just what it is.

If everyone is for it, that is fine too. I will protest it in my own way and accept the consequences for my action. That doesn't make me a bad person, just a person who is fed up with doling out more money for nothing.

You said it JC it's the big squeeze every chance they get. The government would have an enjoyment tax if they could get away with it. Let’s take some of the money that is given to these clowns to run for president and give it to our park and recreation departments.

Thanks for the heads up on the funds Bill. We appreciate the information :blink: It's nice to know they returned it so that it can be put to some use.

If they can't figure out how to tax it, they just outlaw it. I've been waiting for this one to catch up with us for years. It has to come sooner or later.

More money we have to spend for nothing. There are already plenty of rules, regulations, laws, whatever, that aren't enforced. I doubt the "revenue" raised by this new "tax" would result in any better fisheries management or enforcement, hence no real deterent to fishing pressure should be expected (however much desired).

You can't even get enough heat to deter the poachers and other related scoflaws already abusing the system.

Like said elsewhere here, I also wouldn't mind a license fee if the money was used to benefit the sport. Better fisheries management, regulation enforcement, etc. Even just routine and regular license checking would cut down on the pressure, but it likely won't happen.

Federal permit would be best, the one thing that sucks more than paying for nothing is having to do it in over again in every state up and down the coast.

Here's an idea... use the money raised from said tax to hire more EPO's! I think I've seen an EPO only once in the whole time I've been fishing, and that was was at a freshwater reservior. He didn't stop to ask me for my license!

Yes, that would be great give money to sponsor epo's to bug us and make sure we have paid for a license. I too was only checked once and it was also in fresh water, he came at me in a small boat like a navy seal landing right where I was fishing and asked me for my licenses. I get one every year although I seldom use it. I think they should make them good for both salt and fresh so one would be all you need. But for the people who only go once or twice a year and have to pay 30 bucks and don't catch anything they would feel ripped off. Then again it may keep the goons away.

If they would stake out places where poaching takes place I would be happy to pay.

They went after the poachers with a vengeance last year in Lawrence and Salisbury. The idiot factor is high though, so you can't get em all.

As for going hard on the poachers last season, there was one "high profile bust" that made the news (and this message board), but how much effective enforcement was there really?

I've never seen a game officer in MA, never been stopped and questioned, never seen anybody else stopped and questioned (other than to ckeck for illegal drinking)and I've been fishing in the vacinity of large numbers of questionable characters while fishing. I say "questionable" because not everyone I meet is of the same caliber sportsman as those of you reading this. If you fish much you've seen them too, the week-enders, the first-timers, the round the campfire up all night ecstacy crazed party gangs, the coleman lantern toting googans, and the various shifty eyed no-speak-english probably catch and keep anything gangs.

Don't get me wrong, I pay plenty for the "privilege" to fish. I carry a NH license, as that is my home grounds and I fish the freshwater year round when the striper bite is down. I've only been checked twice in the past ten years in NH. I also get and carry the PI oversand vehicle and night fishing permits, but have never been checked there either, wonder why I even bother to sign on or off. Growing up in Maine, the game wardens were thick as thieves, sneeky and always watching from behind bushes using high powered binoculars, appearing out of no where by boat, airplane, snowmobile or on foot, and strick as the Nazi Gestapo, so I learned to respect the authority and always be legal. I like to think it makes me a better sportsman, but I often wonder why I shell out money for a license when I could probably get away without it, and the money gets used for who knows what.

Makes me nervous about having to get another license to fish the salt. I can think of a lot of reasons why it could be a good thing and should be supported, but the reality of it is in this day and age it will turn out to be just another tax without benefit. Freedom is never free, but it really burns me up when I have to pay to loose a freedom.

It reminds me of the sticker you now have to pay for in Me in addition to your boating registration. Millfoil awareness sticker. Just another means to get more money out of the recreational person.

Yeah, at first I thought this was another "gimmick" but my experience has shown that we are getting some protection from this program up here in my neck of the woods.

Everytime I took my boat to Great East Lake, ME, I was greeted by an individual who asked a series of questions, inspected my boat/motor/trailer and it only took a matter of minutes.

This was a good example of the milfoil sticker funds being used for its intended purpose and I did not mind the short delay.

Extra charges or fees are always controversial until results are noted or recognized.

Good debate!!