• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eel man

Any race fans out here?

11 posts in this topic

just wondering.. I know it is a fish based website, but the forum said "anything" :cool:

Sorry Eel Man,

I just noticed this post. Yup Im a race fan. Ill pobably take heat for it but my favorite driver is Jeff Gordon. I also like Little E, Jimmie Johnson, Terry Labonte and Jimmy Spencer. We try to make the races in Loudon every year. We only made the Cup race once and that is enough. It took us two hrs to get out of the parking lot. :o Last year we went to the truck race and that was pretty cool. I really like the featherlight modifieds. We also go to star speedway a couple of times a year and we went to that paved track in Lee once. Here at home there is a small dirt track that we go to a few times a year. They run typical dirt stock car classes plus IMCA modifieds. I have not been to Texas Motor Speedway yet but we are thinking about going to see the IRL there in June or maybe the trucks.

swampstander

And no you will not get much heat from me about Gordon.. I like all of em'.. I have been a diehard race fan for six years. And if it has 800 horsepower.. I love it! My all time favorite was Dale senior, now I like all of em.. Well that's not entirely true..... I guess I favor Junior, Craven, Petty. And I am not the biggest fan of Sterling.. but oh well.. I still love to watch.

I also try to get up to Loudon every year. Great race track with the new surface and all. I have been to Pocono and Daytona also. Good fun. So what do you think about this season so far? Strange if you ask me. There is new controversy developing about the next race at Texas Motor speedway. It seems that after the new surface was put down, the track has become INCREDIBLY fast! Like OVER Two hundred into the corner kinda' fast! The practice lap times were faster than Talledega!! And the drivers are a bit worried about it. Check out nascar.com for more..

:cool:

After all the talk.. Rain delay!!! Race is on tomorrow at noon for those race fans out here

I pick Junior!

We started to go to the bush race Saturday. I spent the weekend in Dallas for a wedding. It was just kinda pushing it as the ceremony was at 6:00 pm. After the rain delay Im glad I didnt go. I would have lost my money. We went to Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World instead. Hated the cup race was on Monday. I used to be able to keep up with them at work on Nascar.com but now they make you pay for the priveledge. It looks like it wasnt Little E's day. Gordon did allright though.

swampstander

Hopefully you guys can answer a question I have had for a while. I try to watch the races as often as I can. With a wife, toddler and a house that needs some work it isn't too often, but I usually catch the big races. I was always impressed with the success Gordan has had since he started. I got a chance to go to the big race in Louden last year. It was the first time I had the opportunity to see race live, and I was kind of amazed at how most of the fans HATED Gordan. Why is that ? Micheal Jordan in basketball is loved all over for the most part. Why is it that someone that successful is so hated. He is a great racer, always has a great crew. To me I would think that would be admired. Maybe I missed something as he was coming up and winning. One thing though, that race he took a ton of heat for ramming another car during a caution just towards the end of the race. I thought he showed some guts. It looked to me that he was definately "nudged" on purpose.

I have been an involved race fan for going on 8 years. I have seen the rise and fall of Jeff Gordon, the fall of Dale Earnhardt and everything in-between. I am a fan of all drivers, I just love the speed and cars and all around horsepower. I believe the problem with Jeff Gordon is that he set an impression early in his career as being a little "baby" and crying about everything that went wrong. ( of course most drivers have um, "opinons" when things go wrong ) Secondly, and most important I believe, is that he just basically came out and and beat the hell out of all of the "old school" drivers. People don't like someone that is always beating the drivers that these people like. I found that people would scream in joy when Gordon had problems. Now that Gordon is having the worst season he has ever had, I think you will find that people will begin to cheer more when he wins. Just my opinon.

Also, I was at the race at Loudon last year as well and I believe what Gordon did was GREAT! He showed he had a little more aggression than people originally thought. Dale was the most aggressive driver ever and he still has the biggest following of any driver. I think you need to be.

I have been to every Busch, Craftsman Truck, and Winston cup race at Loudon in the past three years. (including a few Busch north races) I have been to Daytona, and Pocono as well.

-race fan

:cool:

Sounds like plain "good ol' boy" jelousy. I liked Dale Sr. alot, when I first started watching racing, Cale Yarborough was my favorite, he was at the end of his carreer and managed to sqeak out some big race wins. That was when Bill Elliot was tearing up the tracks in the mid to late 80's. The biggest jolt was Davey Allison's death. He was on his way to be one of the best ever.

you know some of the old school drivers like Elliot are still winning races! Rudd being another. Good to see. :)