• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Backagain

Inshore Herring Trawlers Banned

11 posts in this topic

The NE Fisheries Management Council voted yesterday to BAN large trawlers and pair-trawlers from fishing inshore waters.

Any word on wether or not there will be more restrictions or a ban on recreational herring catching in inland waters......ie, upriver, above tidal? I heard rumors after last season's rough year that a ban was being considered.

Any word on wether or not there will be more restrictions or a ban on recreational herring catching in inland waters......ie, upriver, above tidal?  I heard rumors after last season's rough year that a ban was being considered.

I am pretty sure that in Massachusetts & Connecticut you will not even be allowed to be in possesion of a river herring. So even if you find dead in front of a herring run you may be risking a heavy fine if you take the dead herring and use it as bait!

Rhode Island is considering a ban because they are afraid of Massachusetts and Connecticut resident coming into RI to take 'their" herring. I hope RI does ban the taking or using river herring, but I am pretty sure the ban is possesion not just taking of live herring.

I could very well be wrong, because I am just repeating what i have read or heard.

Bill do you know the exact rules and states involved in the Ban of river herring or closing of the herring runs.

from the Gloucester times: "Area 1A, a portion of the inshore waters of the Gulf of Maine, will only be open to fixed-gear purse seiners and closed to large trawlers from June 1 to Sept. 30"

Mass has closed all herring runs and banned "taking, possession or sale of all River Herring and Alewife for three years. Conn. has also done the same. I understand that RI is considering doing it too.

:banana: :banana: I guess I can do without pickled herring for a few years :lol: I hope they keep the trawlers away from the ocean herring for a few years as well. It will give the fish a chance to bounce back and herring will bounce a lot faster than the striper did. Now that the striper are back in numbers they need herring to help them grow fat and remain healthy.

Thanks for the info. Just checked out the Division of Marine Fisheries (MA) and they said that taking/posession of herring is out through 2008.

Herring Change

Hopefully that will let the herring bounce back again. Also, it should make things interesting for the environmental police during the run. If they increase their uncercover presence they'll have a field day issuing fines, at least on the merrimack from what I've seen in the past. At least the yearly chaos that has developed on the river will potentially subside once the word gets out. I suspect that alot of people will give up when they realize they have to use artificials. Hooray for the plugger's! Not too mention, I'll have a little more room in the boat without the 32 gal herring pot, lol.