• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
FISHCRAZY

SALTWATER.LICENCE

24 posts in this topic

I HEARD THE OTHER DAY THAT THEY ARE TYING TO BRING SALTWATER LICENCES I. SURE HOPE THIS ISNT TRUE CAUSE IT WILL MESS EVERYTHING UP

In their Biennial Report to Congress on the Status of Striped Bass; the National Marine Fisheries Service and US Fish & Wildlife Service has recommended a saltwater "permit" to be required in all states that do not now have a SW license.

Those states now with a license would be able to use theirs, as long as it provides the information (reports) required by the national permit.

Those states now without a license, could adopt one with the federal requirements.

This is just the start and it will not happen overnight. Those in the know believe it will pass Congress and will probably have a 2 yr. implementation period. There is a lot of support for the idea in congress and in the various states that do not now have a license.

i just can't help but see this as another money making program for the state.

and in turn we are going to get nothing out of it but more hassels & politics.

I am all for it, the money to do all the research has to come from somewhere and if it takes 30 dollars a year I will be glad to pay it. It may also give these people taking short fish an idea of the rules, the rules should be printed in different languages and handed out when you recieve your premit that will give noone any excusses. I am also for a coast wide limits instead of different state with different rules We should all follow the same rules.

Please don't type in caps :banana:

What do you think Bill? I have not formed an opinion on this yet and would love to hear what your thougts are.

IF the money from the license fee ACTUALLY goes into conservation,awareness and more EP's,then I am all for it.But if the fee is just going to get funnelled into the "general fund",then forget it...And for goodness sakes,LOSE the caps lock..

110% for it and its well overdue!!

Great thread addressing all arguments on this (Including some of Bill's feedback) at that site that rhymes with Eel Slime.

I'll have to check it out. I must be loosing it because it took me a minute to figure out the rhyme. :fish:

What do you think Bill? I have not formed an opinion on this yet and would love to hear what your thougts are.

Actually, I have mixed feelings.

I don't have a lot of faith in the commonwealth using the money where it should be used - to support marine fisheries. But, if it's done right, I'd have no problem with it and gladly pay the fee. $25-$30, about what you pay for a couple good plugs and my fishing is worth a hell of a lot more than that.

Resident hunting and fishing licenses are really a bargain, when you come right down to it.

It may keep out some of the googans but only if they enforce it. You will still get the I didn't know you needed one for saltwater. I buy a fresh water one every year and seldom use it. Last year not at all and then was forced to buy a duck stamp which is useless, it doesn't allow you to hunt ducks without a hunting licence, go figure. They should get rid of the duck stamp and combine the fresh and salt together. They should also make it a us license so if you travel out of state you don't have to get one for NH MA and RI. They already get you for a tuna license. So for someone who likes to fish they would need a freshwater a duck stamp a saltwater and a tuna license, Then if they fish NH and RI two more never mind if they like to hunt that would be crazy. :banana: :banana: :lol: :rolleyes: :D

bob,

yes i agree with you as well but i really don't think the money will end up where it is supposed too.

more big dig cash!!

that is interesting though, if all atlantic states had the same regs.

I only fish from the beach...dont own a boat or anything ....I just dont see How a license to fish in the ocean is going to be of benefit to me ...just someone else in line to take my hard earned dollars .... :banana:

They tax the public so much it's not even funny. They tax your pay and your employer when he pays you tax on the land and building if your company sells a product tax on what you sell and the income and the person who bought the product already paid a tax. They tax you again when you spend your money 5% and for things that we all need like gas it's a set rate per gallon like 38 cents while the station only make 3-5 cents per gallon. They charge you property tax excise tax on your car or boat. They even charge you thumb tax. Let us not forget about the lottery or the tolls 3 bucks to drive into Boston in a car you paid sales tax excise tax gas tax and income tax. If someone gives you money or you win something they stick there hands in your pocket an take some capital gains tax. Now they want a license to grab more of our money....... :banana:

And then to top it all off this country is trillions in debt...

I wonder if anyone knows how much this country collects in tax per year all forms of government city and federal collects per year from all sources Taxes lottery tolls fines (tickets and courts) I bet the numbers would blow our minds

here's what a trillion looks like 1,000,000,000,000

if you made a million dollars a year it would take you 1million years to save that much and we are several trillion in dept.

I'd be more than happy to give money towards conservation of stripers, research on their biology, cleanup of their Chesapeake and Hudson breeding grounds, and enforcement of the fishing and beach regs. In fact, I wish I could designate a portion of the thousands of dollars the government already gets from me each year. It would be great if they'd allow me to put even a small amount towards protecting the fish stocks. I'd even pay extra.

But I have three problems with the idea of a saltwater license.

First, the money they collect has a pretty good chance of never being used for its intended purpose, but just going to the same people who are already screwing us. I don't want to pay even more to benefit war-profiteering contractors or the thieves who are grabbing the money generated by the Katrina disaster. Basically, I don't trust the government to do what it says it will do with my money.

Second, this is the ocean. I just can't wrap my mind around the concept that I need to pay the US government to fish in the ocean. It's not the American ocean. It's the Atlantic.

Third, unless the license costs a few hundred bucks a pop, I don't see where the funds are going to come from for sufficient personnel to ensure enforcement. I'm in my fifties and I've spent a fair amount of time surfcasting. Over the years I can't say I've noticed more than a handful of wardens, rangers or marine police who actually were going after poachers or controlling the destructive behaviors of the morons/aholes.

Sounds as if the saltwater license will probably happen, though. Can't see them missing any opportunity to tax us more. Sucks, really.

i know in florida you need to but a licence to fish the salt, i don't know what effect it has done for them

is this supposed to eliminate the amount of people who fish

by figuring not may people will buy the licence?

think of how many people who won't! ( or claim the requlations are wrtten in english and i only speak swahelie, so i didn't know ) wham!! more $$$ needed to reprint regs in different langueges.

A fishing permit or license to fish in the WORLD's ocean! Ok. Who do I make the check out to? World? Not “The Command Wealth of...”.

Money for research and protection of saltwater species. No problem. Who do I make the check out to? Not “The Command Wealth of...”. There is NO guarantee that The Command Wealth of...” will use the money appropriately. What happened to the money in Social Security? Right. Government can NOT be trusted to manage money accurately. This is not an opinion. This is fact. Again, I will happily write a check for research and protection of saltwater species. But, not for each state that I fish in. And NOT to the federal, state or local government.

Self governance. Report poachers. Only take what you need.

- Saltie.

It is easy and natural to gripe about taxes, but we aren't that bad off. I just did my taxes and after all the deductions and credits me and my wife ended up paying 15%. Yes, throw in all the other ways we get taxed, sales, gas, etc. and maybe that percentage goes up to 20%. Still not that bad. Eurpoe pays in the 60-70% range. They get all their social welfare things paid for. Great if you need that stuff. I don't. I'll take the good ole' U S of A anyday even if I have to pay 50 bucks or so to fish.

P.S. gas is $2.-- per gallon only recently. In Europe it has been over $4 for a long long time. And in Iraq it is 8 cents a gallon. Go figure, but that's another discussion entirely.

This subject was here before and I will again say...a salt water license is just another tax. I have yet to see anyone say what it will do. Will it help build decent fishing piers? Will it help put in free boat ramps? Who is going to police this? Like someone else stated and I think I did before too...in all my years salt water fishing, CT, MA, NH, ME, FL, I have NEVER seen one warden other than the Marine patrol when out on a boat.

Will this money cover entry fee and access to Govt parks? IE: The Refuge?

Will this money stop people from keeping short fish or poaching? Will this money be used to give English lessons so people can't use that as an excuse? Will this money keep the slobs from littering the beaches? Will this money give JUST fishermen and women sole access to certain parts of public beaches? Will this money create free parking areas JUST for fishermen and women to be able to access prime beach areas? What percentage of this money will be used for salaries,benefits and office space? How many more jobs will this money create?

Will swimmers have to buy a license too? They are "using" the ocean. No? Then because we are now going to pay to use the ocean, we can throw them out?

Will this money be distributed to each town or will it go directly into the State coffers? Will this money be guaranteed to NEVER be used for any state project or deficit? Like duck hunting, will the next thing be a striper stamp along with the license? Or maybe a bluefish stamp?

You can use all the data you want but it will be hard to convince me that this is nothing but another way to get into your wallets. It isn't going to make more fish..good fishery mgmt will do that. It isn't going to stop the slobs from fishing, they will just fish anyway. If you are fined, will it be enforced or just looked at as a minor thing and not bothered with?

Maybe if this money was GUARANTEED to do some of the things and we were GUARANTEED enforcement of regulations and policing, I might be inclined to agree with a nominal fee. But for the amount of time we have to fish up here, as opposed to Fl or even the southern tier of the country...it is just a rip-off.

Sorry for sounding like a pessamist, but I have no trust in any of our govts when it comes to taking more of our money or for having to PAY for one of the very few "free" things we have left when it comes to fishing. Someone came up with the brainstorm and now it will become law. Wonder how we got along for so many years without one before?

You pay to fish in a state park, access to the ocean for fishing is blocked or if you can fish somewhere you cant park there to do it?? Now comes the license to not be able to fish in a lot of places in the ocean that belongs to everyone. I dont think it will stop people from breaking any laws while fishing really and even so I can honestly say that I doubt I will ever come across a warden at 3 in the morning. The only place that I have seen with designated areas for fishing purposes is RI so far..Is MA or CT or NH going to improve access to waterways for me.........I seriously doubt it :banana:

I would pay for a salt water license if they would get rid of O'Learys Bill (S2308) and stop posturing toward MPA'S. Has any one read that piece of crap?

www.mass.gov/legis/bills/senate/st02/st02308.htm

scaery stuff.

The only place that I have seen with designated areas for fishing purposes is RI so far..Is MA or CT or NH going to improve access to waterways for me.........I seriously doubt it :banana:

New Hampshire already gives you access to 95 % of its' coastline for free. Cape Cod coastline is about 90% accessable. I've spent a lifetime fishing the shore from one place to the other and have never been at a loss to find a place to fish.

The places I have been were tough for parking..during the summer season...that is what I meant by access...If you can see the ocean you can usually find a public right of way to enter the beach the difficulty is finding unrestricted parking...I dont feel a fishing license would help in this area and I dont feel the monies will be spent doing anything worthwhile as far as anything else...I dont feel that you should have to pay to fish in the ocean ....anywhere...but that is just my personal opion.

:banana: