• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
saltie

Fin-S Fish

22 posts in this topic

I have used the slug-go. I am convinced of its effectiveness. I have read good things about the fin-s fish. But, I cannot find anything on actually fishing it. That is, what is the best retrieve?

I am thinking that black is the best color at night.

What think?

Thank you in advance.

- Saltie

I fish it like any other soft jerkbait, similar to the sluggo.

saltie:

use a lead head to weight it down and use the same action you would as a slugo

black at night = deadly

i've also had luck with the pearl color in the day time.....

I fish it like I would a Slug-O - that is in many different ways according to conditions, weighted and unweighted.

I prefer the Fin-S to the Slug-O

Ditto on use. I get most fish on the pause/sink. For colors think pink :banana:

Bubblegum Ice has been killer for me. 056.jpg

Thank you Mike M., djpinto, BackAgain and CharlieA.

Good information.

This site rocks!

Aside:

I am so tempted to wet a line in the Charles or Mystic for hold overs with some bubble gum or pearl.

One day at a time....I guess.

Mike M., djpinto and CarlieA, are you going to the PISC event?

- Saltie

Black at night is great but only if you're fishing at or near the surface. If you're going to fish it deep or near the bottom I would use a lighter color such as the pearl.

not me sorry, i'm still on the road, although we are going to be in R.I. march 9th.

like i said in another post.. this spring we should do a canal run ( provided there is bait there.)

djpinto,

I will take you on that spring canal run.

What's your favorite bucktail jig? I will bring you one.

Zippy,

Why? Is there more light at the bottom? Seriously, a proven pattern is "black at night". But, I have read of fisherman having success with color at night (e.g., full moon nights and other conditions). I try to keep things simple. I do not want to pull out my computer to figure out what color I should be using at location x under conditions, a, b, c, x, y, x and alpha. I think that color at night works more because of the retrieve and action imparted by the angler and less because of the color itself. Again, I "think". I did not say I "know". Zippy, I can also count on you to make me think. I can never predict your response. Thanks. I like to think.

- Saltie.

The best thing about using FinS/Sluggos is the ability to rapidly change colors/styles. I always go with a variety of colors and keep switching until I find the "key". Many times it has more to do with what they are chasing than time or moon.

Pink kills one trip, but pearl the next, then alewife, etc.

Bring several sizes and colors and work through them until you find the right one. The fish will tell you when you do. :banana:

Ok guys, can somebody explain how to retrieve a sluggo or fin-s?

Steve McKenna (the rigged sluggo king) recommends a fairly fast retrieve with twitches, but that is for the rigged version.

How do you guys work them. Moderate, fast? very slow?

citistriper...

i fish the canal and alot of time i use a 3oz lead head and drift a 10" fin s fish in the current

that's just me, others will have their own way

you just have to try different retrives untill you start getting hits.

CityStriper,

I would not fish a Slug-go like an eel.

You need a moderate retrieve with some jerking or twitching action to make the slug-go behave erratically (i.e. like a wounded bait fish).

McKenna recommends fishing it like a Zara Spook or Pencil Popper. He also recommends keeping the slug-go subsurface and holding the rod parallel to the water while retrieving.

He has some big fish on his logs. So, I tried his recommend retrieve and got some hits.

You can also work it like jig. Jerk it up. Let it sink. Pause. Jerk it up. Let it sink. Pause. Repeat until a hit or the slug-go reaches your feet.

I would experiment. Just put some action into the slug-go. It does not need to do the tango subsurface. But is does need to shake, wiggle and roll, so to speak.

I hope this helps.

- Saltie.

I like to fish them with a straight hook and the the Lunker City internal weight system. You can find them at Bass Pro.

thanks guys, yeah, the McKenna way really intrigues me, so I am going to concentrate on that, but thanks for all the suggestions.

I rigged some black sluggos last year with a single 8/0 mustad hook like in that stripersonline article and made the mistake of retrieving it too slow I think. Never got a hit.

can't wait to get a 20 pounder on one this year though! (that's this year's goal, last year was just to get some keepers)

There is no wrong way to fish a sluggo. I've skipped them across the top, weightless, drifted them in the surf around rocks weightless, bounced them along the bottom on a jighead, and the simple cast and slow, moderate, and fast retrieves.

I've landed keepers on all methods.

I've done the thread/glue/hook thing. I've done the additional "stinger"/dacron. I've done the jighead. I've done the "lunker city textsposed". They all have pros and cons.

My biggest b*tch with the glue method is these things get killed by stripers. After a few decent fish, the head (where the glue is) is torn and the hook slips (fouling the hookset). If you rig 20 in all colors and want to carry them all - and be willing to throw away 7 of the 9" sluggo - great.

Jighead works great except sometimes you don't want the extra weight, and if someone can find a decent quality hook that is attached to a jighead please let me know. I, and others I know, have had nice fish straighten those cheap hooks right out.

Lunker City textspose works good, especially in weed cover. BUT, many times a hard hit to the bait will cause the sluggo to slide down the hook and foul the set.

I am still looking for the perfect solution. Easy to adapt in the field, but no losses due to fouling or cheap hooks.

Sluggos in 4, 6, 7.5, and 9 were my fav's last year and the 9's accounted for almost all my 20#+fish.

If you are casting sluggos and not getting anything by switching up your presentation, MOVE. There are no fish there.

My biggest b*tch with the glue method is these things get killed by stripers. After a few decent fish, the head (where the glue is) is torn and the hook slips (fouling the hookset). If you rig 20 in all colors and want to carry them all - and be willing to throw away 7 of the 9" sluggo - great.

If you are casting sluggos and not getting anything by switching up your presentation, MOVE. There are no fish there.

Thanks Charlie, you seem to be the sluggo guru of this board.

getting 9 inch sluggos torn up by big bass is a problem I want to have!

and the other thing I want to work on this year is moving more, I think I tend to stay in fishless water way to long!

CharlieA,

Excellent points.

Lunker City textspose works good, especially in weed cover. BUT, many times a hard hit to the bait will cause the sluggo to slide down the hook and foul the set.

Have you tried a "hitch hicker"?

...if someone can find a decent quality hook that is attached to a jighead please let me know.

Have you tried the Owner Saltwater Jig head?

tattoobob,

Thanks for the link.

- Saltie.

Edited by saltie