• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
west

2005 Cape Cod fish report

7 posts in this topic

After reviewing my journal, I found that 2005 was not one of my better years. The question is, was it just me or did others experience the same drop off in number of fish over 45 inches caught?

After 50 years of Striper fishing north of here; my last three seasons have been on the Cape. I'm retired and work part-time in a tackle shop. I have my mornings and at least one full day off - two in early and late season. I fish 3-4 days each week from April through November from boat and shore.

This past season was by far my best in memory, not only for big Stripers and big Bluefish; but for numbers of both. My fishing partner and most of my friends would tell you the same, I'm sure.

Bill

Mid-Cape

last spring was a bummer for sure with the lack of bait in the ditch.

however once the temps really started to rise so did the fish.

all in all a typical year of mixed bass & blues, some keepers some not.

Seems I caught less keepers last year ...but that is probably mostly something I did wrong cause I saw other people that did pretty well.

Living in southern IN, I can only manage 3-4 weeks per year and primarily fish Nauset Inlet. Fishing was as good as it's ever been with lots of fish in the 32-38" range. My two biggest fish were 44" and 47" ... all bass caught on soft plastics (bubblegum FinS, 9" sluggos, and 10" black Berkley powerworms). I can attest to Bill's comments as everytime we fished together the bass were inside the inlet, especially 1st week October. I have pix of one of Bill's big bass ... and he made an outstanding dinner one evening of grilled striper using salsa as a main ingredient!!! Can't wait to head back north again and fish with you again, Bill!!!

I'll be here, Stephen, just waiting to fish Nauset Inlet, wherever that may end up next year.

We have lost about 35' of beach directly east of Skunk Bluff, so the inlet could be there, if it keeps washing away !!! Bu the way, that's exactly where it was about 1929.

I caught just as many fish as the year before but they did seem to be

on the smaller side. I noticed that there did seem to be a lot of fish in

the 30 in range. I also seen many bigger fish caught just not by me. I

do think this may have something to do with the bag limit being 2 instead

of one. One fish a day seems to be reasonable to me maybe they should

go back to that? I don't usually take any home unless some one asks me

to any ways.