• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Backagain

Herring Ban on in MA, RI, CT.

8 posts in this topic

Mass., Rhode Island and Connecticut have all banned the taking, sale and possession of Alewife/River Herring within those states. The NE Fishery Management Council has prohibeted inshore herring trawlers during spawning season.

Does anyone know what New Hampshire and Maine have done about Alwife/River Herring, if anything ???

..inshore herring trawlers during spawning season

Only during the spawning season? Humm. Is that enough?

[This is an open question to anyone.]

- Saltie.

..inshore herring trawlers during spawning season

Only during the spawning season? Humm. Is that enough?

[This is an open question to anyone.]

- Saltie.

The idea is to keep the herring side trawlers out of the inshore areas when Alewife and River Herring spawn. The stocks of Atlantic Herring, which do not spawn in coastal streams are hight enough to allow the offshore fishing to continue according to NMFS.

Are you sure about RI? And if there are no herring what lures do you plan on using this spring? Also I started using soft plastic lures instead of wood and hard plastic, and I had great success.

Does anyone know what New Hampshire and Maine have done about Alwife/River Herring, if anything ???

Sent an email to Bruce Joule, Maine DMR, a couple weeks ago and checked their web site.

No response to my email and nothing mentioned on their site.

West,

RI voted last week to close all runs and prohibet taking, sale and possession of River Herring and Alewife in the state. Same as did Conn. and MA.

I just heard from NH and learned that their runs are in good shape and have not been impacted, so they remain open (subject to regulations). My source advised Maine was keeping theirs open too.

That said, don't bring Maine of NH Alewife or Herring south our you could be in big trouble with Ma, RI and Ct. under their "no possession" regs.