• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
surf rat

More Boring Trout Video!

20 posts in this topic

Look's like your having a good spring Jim. Im fishing the shawsheen river haven't had quite a much luck as you seem to be having but still enjoying the time outside the weather is in our favor now.

You released dinner :banana:

Nice rainbow

Another nice trout. People can say what they will about MA but the state does stock some nice sized trout.

Look's like your having a good spring Jim. Im fishing the shawsheen river haven't had quite a much luck as you seem to be having but still enjoying the time outside the weather is in our favor now.

Morris I have been fishing the shawsheen since last saturday and have been doing really well. Alot of fish in a short period of time. I am useing olive wooly buggers on a flyrod. I find the key to fishing the shawsheen is to wade the river and get to the areas were there is no fishing pressure . There are a lot of good areas between Billerica and Andover but most people fish the accessible areas which after a few day the fish clear out or become wise to bait.

Good Luck

Surfrat- Trout are not boring ,they are a great way to warm up and revive technique before the stripers come in :banana: I always enjoy your videos keep them coming.

Cat what town are you fishing in? Im in Tewksbury Ive seen a couple of guys more than once just off rt 38 giving it a shot the water is still high with a quick current.

Surf Rat,

You ever use Al's Goldfish? My #1 lure for brookies, gold works best and I've had good luck with silver for rainbows. :banana:

Hey Dad

I always use a gold mepps aglia. Seems to work well with all types of trout at least in the Squannacook.

Cat what town are you fishing in? Im in Tewksbury Ive seen a couple of guys more than once just off rt 38 giving it a shot the water is still high with a quick current.

I fish from Tewksbury down to Andover. Right now the most productive area for me is from the rte 38 bridge down to mill st. But I don't fish the popular access spots for long because the fish get pressured quick and move out. The best bet is to put on some wader and walk the river. There are some deep holes that hold trout well in to the summer months. Below the ballardvale dam is pretty good so long as the water level stays high. Its a good spot to flyfish .

I was at the bridge the other day when some guys showed up. They were using mealworms and power bait with no luck, but I had no problem get trout with wooly bugger flies.

I also notice a lot of people only target the bridge and don't bother with any other section of the river in that area. If you don't mind walking you can follow the river through the marsh area and pick up a few fish both up and down river. I target overhang brush areas and the deep pools and any area the has some structure. Also small feeder streams have yielded an occasional fish. For the person who wants to put some effort in it the shawsheen can be rewarding. Here is a link to a map of the shawsheen. You can zoom it up and get a satalite picture and see where there are some good spots

Shawsheen Interactive map

If you have a canoe or kayak you can put in at the bridge and go up river to the old middlesex canal bridge I have luck up there to.

No problem Cat

Information is what the forum is all about! :banana:

Just think in 6 weeks or so, a fish that size will be considered bait. :banana:

My "fresh water" friends always get pissed when a I reel in a stocky, and then make some comment about biding my time till the linesiders come home. :)

I enjoy trout fishing as much as striper fishing. It's much better than

sitting inside. Plus there are trout and salmon in some of the lakes and

rivers that are 20+ pounds. Panther martins work well for large trout

(black body w/ yellow dots & gold blade). You should also try large rainbow

trout colored rapala's. I wanted to try this week but didn't get a chance

to. Sun and mon look to be good. Good luck!

Hey Surfrat and gang,

I haven't been on since last summer. Glad to see I'm not the only one looking ahead to Mothers day frenzies. I bought a Ma. license for the first time since the 70's. A friend talked me into going to the Wachusett Reservoir. Fished for about 3 1/2 hrs. caught 4 lakers between 3 of us my buddy lost 5 others. You can be sure I had fun picking on him. I ended up taking a 23" laker home. It was the biggest I've caught in Ma. Next weekend we may be hitting the Quabbin. :banana: 394823.jpg

Nice fish. The Chu strikes again. Numerous state records have come out of that body of water.

Nice Going Sandman!!!!!! :banana:

I'll have to try that myself someday!

Thanks gentlemen,

I'm trying to get in shape for the stripers too. Looks like 4 of us will be hitting the Quabbin Saturday. It's about a mile hike in. :banana: