• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DDQ

Anchor system for bottom fishing?

9 posts in this topic

Ok, as Im getting ready for my trip Im trying to get as much info together as I can about fishing from a kayak. My question today is: Will the little 1.5 lb anchor hold my kayak in the ocean of the cureent/wind is not real strong? If not, would a 3lb anchor help any more? I will be bottom fishing for sharks/drum. I really dont want to use a drift net/anchor. Would a weight used for king mackeral fishing from piers work? I dont know how much they weigh but I know the prongs on it holds the line very tight. Thanks for the help!

DEPENDS!

What is the bottom made off where you will be fishing?

If you have a sandy bottom, a small mushroom anchor will not hold you. (My opinion, since I have never tried to anchor a kayak) If you are fishing over a rocky bottom it will not hold.

So I guess the next question is what type of anchor do you have?

If you have an anchor similar to a danforth anchor (Kind of good all around anchor) how much chain do you have attached to the anchor? It is the chain that helps the anchor set and then act like a shock absorber due to the actions of waves and wind on your kayak.

How deep is the water you will be anchoring in?

There are many variables, from location, to size of vessel (I assume a kayak does not act like a sail or provide much of a profile for the wind to push it around so frankly the size of your Kayak should not matter much), to depth of water, to current (see wind, if you do not have a lot of your kayak below the water surface, the current in the ocean should not be that much of a factor regarding anchoring)

I know I have not provided many answers, but that is because I have so many questions about where and how you plan on trying to anchor.

There must be a local club down where you are that has people who do what you are planning on doing, when you find them, ask them how they do it.

You are a pretty brave individual to go shark fishing on a kayak. How big are the sharks that you expect to catch?

I use a 3lb. Grappling anchor with 3 'of chain to hold my yak in place.Lefty

I was given about 30ft of rope with an anchor that has 4 "prongs" on it. Im not sure I understand the chain idea. The area I will fish is 100% sand. I will probably be fishing about 20-30ft deep. The sharks I target arent real big. Usually smooth dogfish, blacktips and other species that average around 4-6ft. My boat is 55lbs, 14'6" wide and 24.5 inches wide. Im leaving early next thursday morning so Im trying to get my stuff together now. I will be fishing with my buddy who has a 14ft sit-on-top with the angler package similar to mine so we will be able to help each other out if one of us hooks up on a nice size fish.

I'm not a very experienced kayak angler but it seems to me that if your fishing for anything bigger than say 20 lbs. you wouldn't want any thing dragging on the bottom during a fight. It could flip you at the least appropriate time. I've only caught a few small shark but they seem to be quite a handful when hooked.

Talk to your buddy who already owns a yak., but 30 feet of rope (rode when it is attached to your anchor) does not seem to be enough for 20 to 30' feet of water.

A grapple type anchor would not seem to be ideal for a sandy bottom if you are talking about an anchor with 4 rongs about 3/8" in diameter. The prongs would not seem to have much holding power in the sand.

Assuming you kayak does not offer a lot of resistance to wind or current then maybe all you need is a scope of 3 to 1 to hold the botttom but obviously 30 feet of rode in 30 feet of water, the anchor is just touching the bottom and every wave will lift the anchor off the bottom.

Google anchoring a kayak and just click on some of the hits, especially any hits from West Marine, they have a good page about anchoring.

I googled it and this was the first hit, it seems to explain a lot. I hope it helps you.

http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/ri_acc_vi...ccessory_Info=1

Thanks for the help. After reading that article I dont think I will use my anchor while fishing in deep water. Since my anchor is on the bow it doesnt make sense for me to put it out because If I hook up on a nice fish it will cross the anchor line. I might start out drifting and see how that goes. What I will probably end up doing is fishing from the beach and just using the yak to paddle my baits out about 200yards from shore.

I fnally got to put it in the water yesterday. I put in at the Yadkin River and paddled up to a dam. I didnt catch any strippers but I did catch alot of largemouth bass, none bigger than 4 lbs. I deffinately wish the anchor was on the stern yesterday. The boat moved good through the water and I am very happy with its performance.

DDQ

I don't know about kayak's (Lefty is our authority there) but when anchoring any other type of craft in fast moving water the chain is essential! As Lefty said 3 ft of chain should lay your anchor down in a strong current. On my boat I use 6 ft of chain.