• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
David S

Block Island: advice?

10 posts in this topic

I plan to visit Block Island for just a couple of days during the third week of June. I do most of my surfcasting in MA, on the north shore, and I don't know my way around the island very well. I'll have limited fishing time and I'll be traveling by bicycle, with only a single rod and reel and a surf bag.

I've done some homework, but there's nothing like local knowledge. So I'm asking anyone who feels like helping to give me a little info. I'll probably take a light to medium spinning rig with me. I'll have a headlamp and Corkers, but probably not waders. What pluggage should be in my surf bag? And where would be a good place to try for a bass or two?

I will be there the 18th to the 25th of june and I will have my truck. I will have company but Iplan on fishing. I think Scoobe may be going also

David you want Needle fish for nights, and poppers in the days, also 3 and 4 inch sluggos

I know you will need waders, korkers, plug bag, splash top or wader jacket a 9 FT MH rod

and your VS with new line, Head lamp a must have

Get yourself some eels as well. Definately bring waders. As for spots.................. the whole island is fishy. Where ya' stayin?

Bring something that casts well into a wind. There are some rough spots like SW Point where you need something to punch through the breeze. As Bob said, needles are very popular on the Block. The small slug-gos are good for when the small sand eels come in. Bring some of the 9 inchers as well. If you have a dry top, bring it.

Thanks for the replies. I don't know where I'm staying yet: my girlfriend and I are planning to go online and check out the inns and b&b's this weekend.

Sounds like I'd better figure a way to bring waders. I've got a kayak jacket that I'll take, too. The surf bag will have some needles, poppers and sluggos, as well as a new pink Tattoo squid I want to try. Maybe a few Charlie Graves to cut through the wind, too.

Bob, when I know more about exactly when I'll be there I'll post here. Maybe I'll see you out there.

Might want to bring a few leads for the channel to the salt pond.

I've never fished there but I did visit it years ago for the day. Took the boat over and rented a bike. One thing I remember, it's pretty hilly and some areas are tough on a bike. Can't imagine what'll be like biking and carrying a ton of gear and bait. But good luck, it's a nice place and I'm sure it's great to fish.

David, there was a great article by Bill Nolan in On the Water about the Block, I believe it was the March issue, but I could be wrong. I have it, PM me. He didn't burn any spots, but he definitely gives you a good idea on where to focus your efforts. It seems like it is just what you need.

Citystriper, thanks. You're right, I'd forgotten about that article. I have a copy of that issue someplace around the house. Reading that should help a lot.