• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DDQ

Just bought a penn Senator 9/0...

14 posts in this topic

I just purchased one off ebay to use for paddling baits off the beach for sharks. I payed 75 bucks including shipping for it and of course its an older reel. Has anyone used this reel before? If so, how did you like it? I was planning on putting some 50lb triline on it and I think it will hold about 800-900 yds of it? Im not sure what rod to use with it but right now Im leaning towards a heavy action 6'6'' ugly stick rated for 50-80lb test. Id like to try to get some feedback about this reel because I dont know a whole lot about it. Thanks!

I had one I bought off Ebay, and loved it. I do have one rule of thumb with Penn reels that I buy off Ebay. No matter how clean they look, I always ship them right to Penn for inspection, cleaning, and replace the drag washers. I hooked up with a 7' blue shark with mine, and the reel held up awesome. I spooled it with 80lb dacron, and it was just awesome. Congrats on a great buy!

I got it in the mail today and I like it alot. It wont win any beauty contests but I bet she will do the job. Im gona put 80lb trilene on it and put it all on a 6'6'' heavy action ugly stick.

I am not sure if I would go with 80lb trilene, just for the fact that you'll be sacrificing line capacity. These reels are only capable of holding 675/50. As I mentioned, I used 80lb dacron, and had plenty of line on there. The dacron has a thinner diameter, not as much as a spectra based line, but still had enough. What is the line rating for the ugly stick?

The line rating for the ugly stick is 50-80lbs. Now that Ive thought about it some more I think your right. I am leaning towards 50lb trilene now. I think 50lb is still strong enough to hold a big shark. I am mainly going to drop a big blue head off about 300 yards off the shore with my kayak and fish from the beach so I need a lot of line. Im going to try to get it spooled up monday when I get some 17lb line put on my drum reel.

Where are you going to be fishing from shore? Besides brown sharks off of the cape beaches I dont know what you would get around the north shore unless you go out and chum off of the off shore humps and ledges...

I used to use 50lb and have switched to 80lb because I lost a lot of the larger sharks at the end....

sharkman...what kinds of sharks might venture in close at the Plum Island beaches?? blues, makos, whites, threshers?? id like to spend some nights during this summer on the PI beach with my Penn Senator 14/0. Am i crazy?? I might as well ask, what is the closest youve seen any of these sharks to the beach??

I live in North Carolina and fish Cape Lookout which is in the southern OBX. Hammerheads and smooth dogfish exceeding 6ft I know come in close. I have seen them caught off Cape Lookout. Other larger sharks have been reported chasing schooling fish in the surf by boats but I dont know what species they claimed to have seen. I ended up spooling up my reel with 50lb suffix superior. It feels like the reel fits the rod well and I will be testing it out next thursday. Mabye I can put a live blue out and hook up on a stray cobia or king.

I wouldn't get your hopes up if you're planning on fishing for sharks around PI. I mean, for starters, PI has one of the most dangerous currents on the eastern seaboard, not sure I'd recommend kayaking out there, plus, with that current, a chum slick would probably disappate fairly quickly. Although in the Summer months there are an abundance of bluefish in the area for bait, I don't think a shark would venture that close to PI. But, nature plays by its own rules, so you never know.

Anyone know of any sites with specific info on how to build kites for carrying baits out? I checked out the land based shark fishing site in australia but it doesnt have directions for making the kites.