• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MidniteSurf

SoCo 05/24/06

8 posts in this topic

Went back to the same breachway as last week yesterday night. Strong SW wind, mild, and not crowded. The outflow and tide were real strong and we couldn't keep our plugs in the "fishy" part of the rip. One of those situations where you know the fish are there and you just can't get anything to them. One guy said he got a 34" before we got there and his buddy confirmed. We had several strikes over an hour between the two of us, and I lost one. A good one. It was a vicious take, I set hard, and she turned and ran like my 8' power stick/7500ss weren't even there. The fish peeled away line in an impressive 15 second run, then paused, then another 10 second or so run. I tightened my drag slowly and when she stopped I turned her and started to take line back. On the second pump the line went slack. I'm still scratching my head... no break-off, I had a good set straight on, the hooks were sharp, and the line was tight throughout. I've never had a plug dropped after a run like that and it's still burning me up. It would have been better to not hook up at all. Everyone knows the ones that get away are always huge :banana: but I think there's a good chance that I lost my best striper ever.

It got too weedy after an hour so we walked the beach and fished around the rocks. No fish, but we did manage to find a pile of fresh squid sitting on a large flat rock. Not sure if they were someone's bait or they got stranded on the outgoing, but at least I got some fluke bait out of the night.

I hate "one that got away" stories...

had the same thing happen to me the other day doh! Although I think my hook set wasn't good enough:(

dude that sounds horrible, sorry to hear that.

I guess you just never know with the wiley striper, thing probably shook it right out of it's mouth.

sounds like you covered all your bases, sharp hooks, good set, ect.

:P I got ya beat as far as "big one that got away" stories.

I fought a striper all the way to the beach had to be 35-40 lbs. (not inches)dragged it up the Beach with 5' breakers slammin the sand.Had my hand on the cow when a wave caught her and pushed her past me and back in the open water.it took off but with only one hand on the rod there was no way to fight it and the line snapped.

I didn't even have to guess how big it was I got to touch it :banana: :banana: :( :D :D :D

no mater how it happens it stinks but usually you can learn from it.or at least have a good story

Smokey you definitly have us beat. However technically that is catch and realese by IGFA rules (saturday fishing show knowledge finally pays off!). But my rules say big fish goes in my oven!

:banana: good story Smokey, that is terrible, I would have friggin' lost my mind!

Adam's right though, techically you caught that 50 pounder :P :D

That defintely beats me Smokey, and that's not a battle anyone wants to win :banana: I'm going to try and make up for it tomorrow...

Stay off my b-way. :banana: I found lots of squid on the beach 5/25 AM, but didn't hook into anything substantial. Then again, it was daylight.