• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zippy

adopt a bass

37 posts in this topic

Umass adopt a bass program

Umass is tagging 46 striper with acustic tags and release them in Plums island Sound. There are 19 receivers or listening posts that hear fish as they move and record those movements. Receivers placed in Plumb Island Sound and Rowley river that hear and record their movements

What we don't know: Does the same individual fish stay in one place or do different fish come and go every day? Does the same fish feed in the same spot every day or do they trade places?

Act by July 2006

To adope a bass send a check for $300 made out to "University of Massachsetts" to the Adopt-A-Bass Fund, UMass DNRC Alumni Fund c/o Sarah Pautzke Department of natural resources conservation Holdsworth Hall university of Massachusetts Amherest Ma 01003 Contributions are tax deductible (non-profit)

What you get

1) you can name your "adopted" striped bass (within reason!)

2) you will get weekly updates on its location on the Adopt-a-bass website

Http//360.yahoo.com/plumbislandstripers

3) access to the plumbislandstripers blog

4) they will come to your organization's meeting in the fall to tell the results of the

research

5) Satisfaction of knowing you are contributing to reasearch of striped bass

for more information contact

Sara Pautzke 413-209-2005 spautzke@yahoo.com

Martha E Mather 413-545-4895 mather@forwild.umass.edu

blog at http//360.yahoo.com/plumbislandstripers

We should get together and tag one for the site:

$300 is a little steep, but if we get some of the members together we can cut it way down 30 people would only be 10 bucks each the more people the less money.

Or if we did something for a fund raiser like the auction......

Any ideas??????????

little surfcaster :bluefish:

this could help find out when the fish leave the area of if fishing is slow we would know where to catch atl least one fish....... :banana:

Ok we can do it that way im in too so only 28 more to go

:banana: :P I can't believe we can't get 30 people to do this... People won't donate 10 dollars to a striped bass study? We would name the fish after the site or take a poll for the name. Make the checks out to the "University of Massachsetts" to the Adopt-A-Bass Fund so no one can steal the funds. :D :D

I did a search and found other sites are doing this also. another sites fund raiser

Adopt-a-Bass!

Sarah Pautzke, a UMass Dartmouth grad student, presented an overview of her program in PI Sound. The program studies the travel habits of striped bass using transmitters and "listening" buoys located throughout the sound.

The New England Saltwater Fly Rodders are proud to sponsor two striped bass for adopt a bass this program. The first is named "Pinto" after former club president Rick Pinto who passed away in 2004. The second is a fish named "Wanda".. insert your own joke here :banana:

Check the Adopt-a-Bass website as the season progresses to keep track of Pinto and Wanda as there movements are tracked within the Plum Island Estuary system.

About the project

Striped bass are an important predator species in the estuaries of the northern East Coast. They migrate from the Hudson and Delaware Rivers and Chesapeake Bay to Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and farther north.

I, Sarah Pautzke, a graduate student at University of Massachusetts Amherst, with Dr. Martha Mather, am performing field work in Plum Island Sound, MA (PIS). Our work consists of tagging striped bass using VEMCO hydroacoustic tags to track the stripers' movements via receivers that will be peppered throughout PIS over the summer. The data that we collect will be used to parameterize a model that will aid multispecies ecosystem based fisheries management. The goals of my research are to show how the stripers move throughout the sound, find potential hotspots of activity, and to see if they move with the tides and/or temperature fluctuations of the bay.

The tags we are using cost $300! That being said, the goal of this website is to garner support for our project and if you choose to adopt a striper, this website will also be used to show the striper's movements for the summer. I will keep updated data posted with pictures under the name you choose for your fish. The goal = 50 fish. We're almost half way there, but we need extra support to make this a reality. There is more information on the pictures of the Adopt-a-Bass flyer in the photo section on the righthand side of this page. Use the dropdown menu to select which groups of photos you'd like to view.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to seeing you on the water this summer!

Cheers!

Sarah Pautzke and Martha Mather

How will understanding striped bass migration help fisheries managers?

For fisheries managers, it is extremely important to understand where fish migrate. This is because, in order for them to set fishing regulations for a certain area, they need to know what the size of the fish population is for that area. If scientists discover that different groupings of striped bass have different migration patterns, fishing regulations should reflect these to keep all populations at healthy levels.

Let's look at an example of what this means. Imagine that in a specific estuary on the New Jersey Coast, there are three contingents of striped bass during the spawning season (the season that they reproduce). The first contingent spawns there, travels very far into the ocean and then returns to that estuary again for the spawning season the next year. The second contingent does not leave that estuary at all for the entire year. And the last contingent spawns there, travels a great distance, and ends up in a completely different estuary in Virginia for the next spawning season. This is the kind of information that the fisheries manager for this estuary would need to know to have an understanding of just how many striped bass there are at any given time of the year.

With the old way of tagging, it was impossible to learn where these fish go throughout the year and how often they go there. Scientists could only learn where they ended up. Acoustic telemetry, however, will give scientists the ability to know when the striped bass leave, how often they leave, where they are headed, and whether or not they return.

check out the fish click

this is another tracking program for Maine I believe and their fish tags cost $315

To be honest I was expecting a little more support from the people on this site for such a good cause... :banana:

Zippy,

If you can round em up, I'm in for 10

Gary

I am trying to get the college I work for to adopt at least 2 bass.

I am in for $20, why can't we just paypal the money to someone?

I have no problem rounding up the money pay-pal charges to do a transfer of funds and with checks made out to the org they are tax deductible so you have a record and no one can walk off with the money.. if you don't have a checking account you can get a money order from the post office. let's get the 30 people first then all send the money to the one person and they can forward it to umass.

I hope we can get 30 people together if not then we can up the anti. I just thought for that short amount it would be easy. :bluefish:

Zippy, if you get enough to join in, I'm good for 10.

Thanks wally I thought this would be easy and there would be people jumping on it but it's more like pulling teeth :P

C'mon people dig deep it's less than a bucket of bait :banana:

evolcom1/ Hall-N-It/ iamsaws/ S_Wally/ Meterman/zippy

that makes 6, 14 more to go then we can make arangements and pick a name

Any ideas??

:banana: Sure just send address where to send check How about

Surfer after the site?

:fish:

Put me down.Send address for $$$....

1st we need to get the comitments then we'll pm addresses to send the checks...

that makes 9

oops there was an error (not 14) we need a total of 30 so 21 more

we should also start thinking about a name..........

nemo, willy, surfcaster, surfer, tatoo bob, LiL schoolie throw some out there then we can vote vis pole

Thanks strike king northstar and newt

I'm in for whatever $$ we end up requiring per person and think without question the name should be:

Zabrina.

Hope I got the spelling right "Z"

just my 2 cents and I'll donate even if we name it Zippy ;-);-)

Or we could name it after her baby (sorry don't remember the name)

A little help z

guyton makes it 10

ok we're 1/3 of the way there on commitment