• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mong0

Bald eagle drags a fishing rod into the drink

8 posts in this topic

I have been fishing for sea run striped bass in a river on the NH/Southern Maine border.

100_1113.jpg

There's a family of Bald Eagles living nearby - one adult and two juveniles.

Well somehow these overgrown parakeets clued into the fact that at one bridge (the one I fish) human beings are throwing out tons of fish, cut into yummy, bite-sized chunks.

It being late spring, the river is choked with bait herring run in fresh from the sea (10 miles downriver) to breed. The entire ocean follows these bastards in to eat em. That's why I am there. I want a nice fish like this:

100_1148.jpg

Anyway, today at the bridge a very big bald eagle - wings six or more feet across - kept lunging into the water for herring right in front of us. We were entranced. He'd show up about every half hour. I had a half pint of whiskey handy (in case of snake bite, of course) and celebrated each arrival with a surreptitous swig.

So around 2pm the eagle swooped in (as usual) and he came out the water with a herring in his talons. The guy fishing next to me shouted.

"HEY! He's got a HERRING!"

A few seconds later this guys' fishing rod, which he had propped up on the rail thusly:

100_1125.jpg

Started to make funny noises. Before he could react the entire rig tipped up and over the rail and into the drink.

The Eagle dropped the herring. The rod sunk. I had another surreptitious drink. I waited until he'd stopped jumping up and down in place, screaming, then offered him the flask. "Dude, it could have been worse."

He drained the flask and looked at me with wild, rolling eyes. "how?"

"You could have caught it!"

Great story. If only you had a video!

If you were using Eagle Claw Hooks you would have landed that bad boy.

mmmmmmmm Bald eagle stew :D

Great story! Many have caught gulls but thats the first Bald Eagle I've heard of!

lol Zippy "Eagle claw hooks"

My dad and a friend were trolling shiners at Quabbin Reservoir and an eagle grabbed their bait, took quite a bit of line with the drag screaming before they cut the line. :D Going to try the Hampton Harbor again on Fathers day. :lol: Sunny and 90, could summer really be here????