• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Condor

Vinalhaven Area surf casting

9 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I will be in the Vinalhaven area of Maine late this August for a couple weeks and will be looking for feesh. I don't have too much surf casting experience, but when it comes to fishing or hunting I catch on real quick (i.e. 2 years ago my wife and I vacationed on an island off the coast of Florida and within an hour had taught myself to cast a bait net and caught my first snook. Fun!)

Anyway, I am just looking for some pointers for surf casting in Maine around Vinalhaven. Rigs, bait, etc... Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hey now, the best advice I can give you is to go prepared. Have plenty of hooks, rigs, bait, lead, etc. Nothing sucks more than having to leave because you didn't bring enough gear. Having said that, don't bring too much. If you want to bring lures, bring a couple kastmasters, some surface plugs, some yo-zuri crystal minnows, etc. for your primary rig, I recommend a 10' Ugly Stick, a reel capable of holding at least 200 yds of 20lb mono. I spool my reel with 15lb trilene big game. If you're plugging, go with an 8' rod. Milt Rosko wrote a great book about surfcasting, techniques, and lures you should bring to the beach with you. He focuses primarily on bringing the least amount of gear as possible, yet be extremely productive at the same time. Good luck, tight lines, and have a good fourth of July! :fish:

Oh yeah, one more thing. With Rigs, you can spend money on fancy rigs with fluorocarbon leader, but for the convienence, I use those Matzu rigs from walmart, 5/0 bait holder hook on 80lb mono leader with the connecting swivel for lead. Easy to use, durable. 2 bucks. For lead, if you with the 10' rod, use a 4oz pyramid. You want to keep your bait on the bottom, and not snag other anglers drifting up or downwind of where you are fishing.

I spent a couple days on VinalHaven Isl last february. (Yeah, I know, february?)

Toured the Island with its numerous, easy access coves and coastlines. Looks very fishy.

When I spoke with some of the locals about stripah fishin, they told me the island was all about lobstering and you might find some mackerel.

However, I do know that stripahs travel up that way, it would be a matter of being at the right place at the right time.

BTW, check the outflow that flows from a salt pond, under the main road and into the harbor at the islands only hotel/motel.

THAT looked fishy.

I have some pictures in my home computer that I will try to find for ya.

Good luck, and I'd be curious how you make out.

If your taking the ferry out of Rockland, stop by Johnson's sporting goods on Rte 1 just as you get into town. They were able put us on some good fishing in Thomaston the other week.

I'd start w/ Guyza's spot, from what we found the fish were holding in on near-by outflows.

outflow from salt pond. Pic taken from motel balcony.

post-26-1152135486_thumb.jpg

We are heading for the island from Rockland so I will definitely stop by Johnson's.

Thanks for the info and the pics. I'd be interested if you come across anything else.

Being landlocked I only get a couple weeks of saltwater fishing every other year or so, but I love it and want to make the most of it. The rest of the time I have Lake Erie so I shouldn't complain I guess.

I'd also pack the trout &/or fly pole. If the linesiders are shy, macks and harbor pollack on ultra-light gear can be a good time.