• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
doabbs

Eliot/South Berwick

8 posts in this topic

Hoping to go out tomorrow, either Eliot or South Berwick. Anyone have any reports on what's working for bait?

-doabbs

Went out this morning to the South Berwick falls and fished an outgoing tide to slack tide and then about 45-60 minutes of incoming tide. Used chunks of mackerel and caught a 16" or so striper. Some other people had the same luck but no one appeared to have any keepers. Went down to the Eliot/Dover bridge for an hour or so but no luck.

-doabbs

Fished all day around the York area and was skunked again. Spoke to a number of other anglers and they reported the same results for the day and poor fishing so far this year. :D

Yup, I've noticed the past few days that the "doldrums" are setting in.

Yup, I've noticed the past few days that the "doldrums" are setting in.

On a side note, Maine Marine patrol stopped by to check on people. They also said that things appear to have slowed down over the last week or so but they saw things pick up a little on Sunday.

-doabbs

Fished the Dover/Eliot bridge last night (7/15) right around dusk. Bugs were so bad only lasted about 30-45 minutes. There were some other folks fishing with mackerel I believe, they got some hits but didn't see anything brought in. Ran home (screaming) and threw on a long sleve shirt, pants and grabbed the bug spray and some citronella candles. Got back down around 9:45 and setup for the outgoing tide using live eels on 6/0 hooks, no weights. Stayed down until a little after 1:00am with absolutely no luck. Hoping to try again this evening as I still have a couple eels in the live well.

-doabbs

Fished the Dover/Eliot bridge again last night (7/19) from 7:45-10. There were about 10 other people on the bridge this time, nice to have company since last time I went I was the only person out there. Saw some schoolies caught and one person said that they had gotten keepers the past two nights. Used live eels on 7/0 circle hooks, no weights, also brought down some mackerel. Only thing I caught was a bigger eel off of a chunk of mackerel. Looks like it is time to hit the beach for some true surf casting this weekend.

-doabbs