• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mong0

Saturday, Wells Beach/Parson's Report.

1 post in this topic

Saturday I took my 8 and 10 year old daughter and son (respectively) and my buddy Bill from work with his daughter (9) off to wells beach surfcasting.

We left in the early afternoon from Rochester NH (2:30 pm) and drove to Wells Beach. We needed bait, so we drove around for about 10 minutes till we found "Seven Rivers Bait and Tackle, right on rte 1. Loaded up on frozen mackerel and sea worms. It was around 3:30, so we drove out to the north lot of Wells Beach. The traffic on rte 1 was utterly horrendous, but that late in the day the lot was almost empty. The Turistas were all clearing out and the pay parking booth was unmanned, so we got in for free.

We set up next to the Jetty and tossed out frozen Mackerel Chunks and the kids swam. Low tide. No luck, but a local came by and said that in this tide, usually, the stripers come in all at once and look like "Basketballs in the surf." And that it was very odd to have no action.

Oddly, we had no action. But me and my buddy fished and the kids swam for four hours then up-anchored. The bait place is open till 8, so we were able to replenish our mackerel and added a tub of clams for good measure. Had for dinner at a clam shack, then drove out in the fading light to Parson's Beach in Kennebunkport.

The "Lot" at Parsons'.

000_0169.jpg

They are not used to being way out on the beach in the dark, even though there was a beautiful, full moon.

The Moon was so bright I even caught it with the cam.

000_0172.jpg

The Kids look a bit nervous

000_0168.jpg

Well, not my son, actually - he wasn't nervous, he was excited.

000_0171.jpg

So we all packed up our raccoon backpacks and headed out.

000_0173.jpg

It was a bit of a hike from the lot to the edge of the Mousam Rivermouth and the kids whined a tad. But they made it. We set up in the soft sand a little dome tent for the kids. Lined the floor with sleeping bags and gave them a 12 volt halogen lantern to play with. Later they got glow sticks.

We threw out baits and waited 4 hours for a bite. Zippo. Home by 2 am. But the kids had fun.