• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
B-REEL-

Josh Beckett

11 posts in this topic

I can't even believe what a disappointmet this guy is. He makes the big bucks

& gives up a run or more for every inning he's in the game. Good thing we gave

him a contract extension because we need more pitchers that have an era over

5. Now he can't even shut the door on the worst teams in the division never mind

division leaders. I see us not even making the playoffs and he's more responsible

for this than any of the other pitchers. Ace? I think horses ace.

People need to realize he's not the Beckett that won the 2003 World Series.Maybe the shoulder injury was worse than we all thought?Maybe Boston's too tough a market for him?Who knows.The laundry list of problems with the Sox is getting longer:

Veratek's injury (probably the biggest loss of all)

Wakefield's injury

Seanez AND Tavarez..The sight of either walking to the mound makes me nautious.

The Arroyo trade. I'd take him in the rotation or in middle/long relief in a heartbeat.

Heavy dependency on Lester,Hanson,Johnson and other young guns...

Etc

Etc

Etc

I really don't want to see the Sox make the playoffs and get swept out again in the first round. I still can't believe we got swept by KC :o B)

But wait..Our savior is coming back..Keith "aka,Johnny from Burger King" Foulke :banana: :banana: Now Tito can choose between Foulke and Tavarez/Seanez.. That's like having to choose if you'd rather sleep with Hillary Clinton or Janet Reno :o

Beckett sucks. I'm going tomorrow, just got engaged to my wonderful girlfriend, and we are celebrating. Hopefully Schilling will show Beckett how to pitch. Oh, and going to PI tonight. Will report tomorrow morning

I was at the game last night.

It was something else.

They just cant get outs.

4:47 minutes for a 9 inning game.

Something aint right.

We left in the top of the ninth.

Missed Ortiz homer, but wow. We were there forever.

Beckett will be better in time, like next year. He's still a young arm and he can't get any worse. Too bad now is what counts and he's stinkin the joint up. What's killing him are the walks and home run balls. I heard a report that his fastball doesn't really have that much movement. While he could just rear back and blow it by guys in the NL, AL players are crushing it. He has the tools but he just needs to learn to pitch and not throw (Pedro, Maddux, etc.).

Arroyo, well it'd be nice to have him now but this year is blown out of porportion. Don't forget he's in the National League. His stats actually project him to be slightly worse performance wise than his last year in Boston... when he posted a 4.52 ERA. Not that ERA is the best indicator of how good a pitcher is, but it's good for comparisons sake. Tack on a run or so to his current 3.45 ERA and he's right about normal. Still, the guy is having a fluke year and you can't ever predict that.

Seanez/Tavarez... well those guys obviously aren't getting the job done. They've posted decent track records in the past so who knows. Is it just me or does every pitch Tavarez throw look like the same freakin pitch? Fastball, slider... looks the same to me! Does he throw another pitch?

Foulk, well looks like his knees are ending his career. While in his prime and closing for the A's and Sox, he was actually better than Mariano if you look at the stats that matter.

Hansen was supposed to be a solid contributer but it looks like he's been rushed up too early. Delcarmen, looks like another young guy who will get better but still needs to polish up his game quite a bit.

Lester is getting shelled and you coulda saw this coming from the start. He posted a damn good ERA and win/loss record from the start, but if you looked closer his stats were AWFUL. He had given up a ton of hits and walks but always just got lucky with the double play and such. The law of averages has caught up to him now. Sox brass seem very high on him so hopefully he'll improve with time as well.

The good news... Wily Mo is showing some good power at the plate. Hinske should help too. Pap, damn he's good. I hope he can develop another pitch and they can start him next year. Schilling, man the guy defies age.

His fastball is the least of his problems.He can't even find the plate.Even the pitches he throws that are balls,aren't even close.He's all over the place.This guy isn't a rookie,and it's almost September.I think he's finding out how different it is pitching in Florida in front of 7,000 people with a laid back media and pitching at Fenway with the media sharks here.Was Lowell the throw in for the Beckett trade,or was Beckett the throw in for the Lowell trade?.Hope he turns it around.

The young guns aren't benefiting from having four different catchers in the past month,including some guy named Corky from Pawtucket :banana: The stabilizing infulence of Varitek is showing up more and more with each shelling.

The signing of Willie Mo and Hinske probly signals the end of the Trot Nixon era. Which is fine by me since he is always hurt.I'd like to see Pena hit with power consistently,and not in spurts.

Hopefully Pedroia will come up and develop.

Either way,I'll still live and die by em :banana: I'm definitely not one of the "Pink Hat People" B)

I was there Saturday and what started out as a beautiful sunny Saturday ended up miserable.

The thing with Beckett is he just isn't ready to pitch when the game starts, and once he's out there, he doesn't seem to be in the game at all.

We were sitting in the right field box seats, and we got there early enough to watch Beckett do his pre-game. What a joke. I've coached Sr League - and the stretchs and warmups we had pitchers do was much more than what Beckett was doing.

Once the game started, he just wasn't in it at all. Stolen bases without a throw down? At least with Wake, you know its because it takes a while for the knuckler to get there. Beckett wasn't even looking over to first.

We expected a lot from this guy, and we were told that Hanley was the next coming, so we gave up a lot to get him.

He needs to get his act together, and show why he'll be the number 1 guy in the coming years (and yes, I'm renewing my 10 pack ticket deal). Its a RED SOX thing,

Oh yeah, and no fishing either Saturday or Sunday.

Theo wasn't super hot on Beckett. Luchinno pulled the trade off in the short time span that Theo had left the team.

I just drove over the Tobin Bridge a little while ago..It's standing room only B) :banana: The "Fellowship of the Miserable" is out en force on EEI :banana:

On the bright side, besides the past ball right off the bat, Foulk did not pitch half bad. B)

KF.jpg

On the bright side,Yankees pitching sucked a little less than the Sox pitching B)