• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
guyza

The Take on the Bait

6 posts in this topic

I’m gonna go out on a limb and suggest that the transition out of the summer mode has begun.

2 Reasons.

Reason 1.

Previous to last week, drifting bait in various sections of the rivers resulted in a few smaller fish with the “take on the bait” feeling more like love taps.

Last week, a switch was turned on. Tons of bait was now in the rivers and the “take on the bait” was much more aggressive with an uptick on size and weight of fish.

Reason 2.

Yesterday, Saturday, I took the wife and kid for a boat cruise on the Piscataqua river. Within minutes, I saw terns going nuts. Shut down the motor and the water exploded for a short time, then moved on. I was glad to have brought a couple rods, just in case. Schoolies and blues.

My wife said she saw the terns eating small slender looking bait fish.

So, What do ya think?

Transition time?

Sat AM on the Merrimack (Jetty) there was a lot of blues busting and some birds working as well. As usual the boats were knocking 'em dead while us sandy foot guys were throwing everything in our bags at 'em. Anyway, I saw some cormarants catching slim bait that almost resembled sand eel's?? Anyone know what they are?? Didn't see any bunker either.

Fished Lot 1 from 6:30 PM till 11:00; nottta, zilch, zippo! Then moved to the river and fished by the jetty from 12:00 till 9:00 AM with only 2 schoolies. Saw one blue caught on a clam. We used fresh clams and frozen bunker and the hits we did get were all on the bunker.

Geoff

PS: One LONG, COLD night.....still left with a smile.

I agree because it is almost September now. The days are shorter & the water

is cooling.

I think that it also has to do with the fact that alot of this bait that was offshore,has finally made it's way inshore.Don't know if it's the start of the fall run or if it's more the fact that there is just that much more bait finally around.Either way,it's good to see these blitzes that have been going on along the North Shore that past week...

Guyza, looks like fish are concentrating exclusively on the bait fish now. We fished PI Saturday morning an all we could do was watch the birds hit well of shore. There were a couple of times were I could see the fish (bass? blues?) breaking water but they were just out of reach.

I'm convinced the fish are just following the bait around. Funny thing happened on our way back from PI. We drove through Newburyport into Amesbury across the Chain Brdige. We looked over the side and saw a large school of fish busted the water below. We stopped and all we could do was watch because you can't fish from the bridge. Just about ready to go when this guy in his boat called over to us and asked if we like to join him! Once in a life-time opportuinty, fished for about 45 minutes or so - bunch of schoolie bass and 2 - 3 lb blues. We were able to pick the fish out on his fish-finder but as soon as the bait was gone so were the fish! Pretty amazing to see so much action going on and then nothing - almost like there was never anyting there!

Hopefully I can repay this guy on day as it was an experience my son and I won't soon forget! B) :banana: :banana:

What a story there NH!! sounds like you guys had a blast!

I haven't been out in the surf going on three weeks now, but I will be out one night this week on the north shore and sometime this weekend, I'll let yas know how I do.