• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
guyza

Sturgeon- What a sight!

14 posts in this topic

Buddy and I recently did a yak fishing trip on the Scarborough marsh/river.

We both saw sturgeons breaking the surface.

Less than 20 feet from me, a sturgeon jumped clear out of the water.

Scared the shitz out of me.

My guess was about 5 feet in length.

What a sight!

Wow,that musta been a sight to see.Esp in a yak B)

so did u try and catch the beast or whaaaaaaat?

I did keep my TnW in the water as I trolled.

I saw an episode of "The Hunt for Big Fish" on OLN once and Larry Dhalberg or whatever his name is causght a monster sturgen in Russia somewhere I think... it was wild, it was only in like 4 feet of water, so he jumped in after it to get it unhooked.

I attended a falconry demonstration at the Kittery Trading Post a couple of years ago. The falconer told us a story about hunting with a peregrine falcon on a tidal river in Maine.

I think he said this happened in January or February in the early 1990's. In winter the ducks flock in the bends of the tidal rivers, and he flies his falcon on them to get table fare and to keep the falcon in practice. He wears waders because sometimes the falcon will kill across the river and he has to wade to retrieve the hawk and the quarry.

He said that the falcon had killed a duck and he had to wade across a pretty wide stretch of river to get to it. He was about halfway across when he was nearly knocked over by a really big fish, over ten feet, that came rushing by. It was so big his first thought was that it was a shark attacking him. Then he realized it was a huge sturgeon.

I've never heard of anyone else seeing one this big in recent times, but for what it's worth this guy seemed like a knowledgable outdoorsman and not a BS artist. He sure knew his hawks.

Wow,that musta been a sight to see.Esp in a yak  B)

It's amazing what I see from the yak.

Never a dull moment.

B) I once or twice kayak over a school of keeper stripers but could not get one to bite. I think they all resting. There is a term for it. Imagine see a school of keepers blizzing and can get a hook-up to save your life. :banana: :fish:

I think I hooked that sturgeon on this past Sunday morning while fishing the dead low tide at Ferry beach. Fishing on 12 lb test with a 3" Wild Eye Shad, I thought I'd hooked my first decent striper of the season. After a 10 minute fight, I saw what looked like a shark's tail break the surface about 20 feet out. Then he ran about 30-yards (needless to say there was no stopping him). Another 10 minutes of fighting and I had it up against the rocks. About 4 1/2 feet long - wicked ugly. He then did a roll and broke the line. Good thing because I didn't know what to do with it next!

He then jumped around in the inlet for about 30 minutes before disappearing.

I think I hooked that sturgeon on this past Sunday morning while fishing the dead low tide at Ferry beach. 

No sheet?

What a rush, eh?

Yup, same area.

I snaged a sturgen back in june, I was fishing the top end of joppa flats near the waist treatment plant, the water was high from all the spring rain so I was casting a storm and leting it sink then a fast retreave, I was cathing a lot of schoolies, then bang the the pole bent in half and though for shore it was a keeper, but when it started breaking surface I suprized by this three foot tough skined look a like shark, the funny thing is that he did'nt take the storm, the storm hook was snaged in his back, I had all I could do to get it out of it's tough skin.