• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dpnoshore

tube'n'worm from yak

8 posts in this topic

Question for tube'n'worm trollers. If you lose the worm (or run out of them), how well does the tube work by itself?

PS -- after surgery in May, I've only recently gotten back on the water (rocks off Swampscott). Been catching a few fish, but all of them small -- 14-25 inches.

I have to agree with lefty. no worm is about as productive as trolling a tube with weeds on the hook. I don't know why it's just what I've seen.

Does it do any good to use the Berkley plastic worms with scent applied?

Does it do any good to use the Berkley plastic worms with scent applied?

Couple weeks ago, I visited a bait shop and bought SeaBait worm potion.

At $8 a bottle, (2 fluid ozs) I figured, What the heck, might as well try it.

Squirted some potion in a bag of Hurricane plastic seaworms in motor oil color so they could "marinate".

Last Sunday, I grabbed both the "marinated" plastic worms and some real worms to troll the TnW from my yak. Might as well experiment.

I was in an area of fish, so for shitz & grinz, I switched over to the "marinated" on the tube.

I got lots of hits and definate interest, but no hook ups. Since I was in schoolie waters, they were probably short hits.

I switched back to the real worms and was hooking up again. I suspect I would need to cut the length of the plastic worms. I will try that next time.

But......I think it has potential as back-up for when I run out of real worms.

Some guys have had limited luck with the Berkley Gulp worms when they have run out of mother nature. Lefty

I got in my yak the other day and reached into my small cooler bag only to realize I left my worms in the fridge at home. Too late to drive home and get em but I had some of the scented gulp worms in the tackle bag (for over a year) so I paddled in and got em. Had a strike on the 1st pass and a decent 27 inch fish shortly after. I got another smaller fish a few minutes later and would have spent more time trying these things but a surface blitz broke out a 1/2 mile away and I concentrated on that. There was no sign of fish or birds where I was trolling them and I was pleasantly surprised to see them work at all after what I have heard about them.

I'd still rather have the real thing and only use these as backup.