• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
OSSCA

Surfcasting R.I.

27 posts in this topic

Hey guys, i've had a great year fishing the surf in R.I. how'd you do?

Define a great year.

Last year I had more 20#+ bass than this year, but this year I've had more 15#+ blues than any other. Somehow I missed the mullet run, which has a lot to do with it. But my freezer still has plenty of fish for Thanksgiving and the winter.

I'll hold off on judging the year until Nov is over as it is always a strong month for bass and blues.

Water has cleared up and reports are getting better.

Headin to Newport tommorra. Shop fishin trip ill report after I get back. Any body been puttin in time in the area?

I agree i should hold off on judging till Dec.1st,but to answer your question my season has been the opposite of yours,i've gotten more 20#+ bass but so far not a single blue over 8 lbs. :fish:

Just got back from Newport . Fished from 930AM to 200pm.Got 6 blues the biggest one was 33'' AND 14 pounds a nice gater that put up a strong fight. All fish caught on mac chunks. Awsome weather and good fishin. Might try next week before hanging up the gear.

that is good news about newport...as i will be heading there sometime this week...will post a report...

With all this warm weather i had to take a week off to fish.The surf has been rough but the fishing is excellent! Hope others are getting a chance to take advantage of the warm weather!Good Luck,

Dan :fish:

The bay has been loaded with 5" peanut bunker, but the gannets are in town so get the action while you can.

Fat lady is warming up, but there are still large to be had.

charlie

I heard a keeper out of the canal still.

I guess that means r.i. can still get some more action :(

thanks M and Son

post-21-1163714457_thumb.jpg

Congrats!!Are you guy fishing West (Charlestown) or elsewhere,bait,lure?I might try Newport agian.There still getting fish in the canal to 20lbs.

I've been fishing gansett,both bait and plugs.

I've been making "rounds" from Misq to the bay. Guys who have honed skills are getting good fish off the bottom in SoCo. My rounds in SoCo have gotten me nothing but some scattered schoolies.

I have found pockets of bait and fish in backwaters and bay "pin" points.

Lots of driving and testing.

Peanuts have been so thick that your plug comes back with 2 or 3 impaled. Skip the topwater, get something under the school and jig. You will out-catch 3-1. My best lure has been a 3 oz jighead (hey it was 20 mph wind in the face) with a white Zoom superfluke.

Fish can be anywhere this time of year and move quickly.

I'd bet another 2 weeks of good fishing, and then it's laggards (which can be quite large) and holdovers.

I was out for a bit this am,fishing the riverside area with storm shads i caught and released a bunch of fish,including a 10+ blue.

I've grabbed 60 22-29" fish in the past 2 days in and around some b-ways, most on white super fluke. Gannets are pounding the water about 300 yards out.

No blues for me though. I expect a last hurrah for blues after T-Day, with stripers heading out a week or so after.

Nice blue OSSCA.

thanks charlie ,my biggest blue ever was 12Lbs and i grew up on the bay.I've seen a bunch of 15+ caught this year but still my best in 35 yrs is a 12..go figure..lol

Dan

nice to hear action is still there in RI.

I hope to ride out to gansett for a last shot this 4 day weekend if i can get away. I will report upon return

Enjoy the holiday all. tight lines for those throwing them

M and Son

thinking of gansett area tonight /tommorow, any action left ? may just be a nice visit to the ole half ironman site to throw a few of my new needlefish lures, but who knows. :(

thanks for any info in advance

M and Son :D

November was outstanding with lots of bass, and lots of medium sized bass to around 20#. The number of herring around was amazing.

Given the lateness of the November blitzes I'm going to hold off on rating the year until mid-December. Reports so far for December is it's all runts, but who knows.

I'll be giving it a try later this week.

Awsome new Charlie great that your still out there pluggin away.I have called it quits for the salt game only trout and salmon for me. Good luck tight lines.

Just a little note from down in Westerly area. Nothing but schoolies along the shore. maybe a few big hits at night. Breachways are getting quiet right now. The cold weather and storm fronts are taking a beating with catching big fish.

Well guys i guess it's really over now,unless you go for the holdovers.Have a great holiday and i'll c ya on the beach in '07 :fish:

Dan

Ok It isn't over,this warm weather has kept decent sized fish in the bay,keepers mixed in with LOTS of schoolies. Also heard from a friend in SoCo that fish to 30" were blitzing the beaches! I could get used to this "neverending" season stuff.

Dan