• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
NH Dad

Bug Alert

17 posts in this topic

OK - past couple of days I've been getting an Auto-Protect alert when I go onto the web page: This is just an FYI :D :banana: :(

Discovered: June 8, 2001

Updated: August 17, 2006 12:34:39 PM PDT

Type: Trojan Horse

Infection Length: varies

Systems Affected: Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Me

Downloader does the following:

Goes to a specific Web or FTP site that its author created and attempts to download new Trojans, viruses, worms, or their components.

After the Trojan downloads the files, it executes them.

RecommendationsSymantec Security Response encourages all users and administrators to adhere to the following basic security "best practices":

Turn off and remove unneeded services. By default, many operating systems install auxiliary services that are not critical, such as an FTP server, telnet, and a Web server. These services are avenues of attack. If they are removed, blended threats have less avenues of attack and you have fewer services to maintain through patch updates.

If a blended threat exploits one or more network services, disable, or block access to, those services until a patch is applied.

Always keep your patch levels up-to-date, especially on computers that host public services and are accessible through the firewall, such as HTTP, FTP, mail, and DNS services (for example, all Windows-based computers should have the current Service Pack installed.). Additionally, please apply any security updates that are mentioned in this writeup, in trusted Security Bulletins, or on vendor Web sites.

Enforce a password policy. Complex passwords make it difficult to crack password files on compromised computers. This helps to prevent or limit damage when a computer is compromised.

Configure your email server to block or remove email that contains file attachments that are commonly used to spread viruses, such as .vbs, .bat, .exe, .pif and .scr files.

Isolate infected computers quickly to prevent further compromising your organization. Perform a forensic analysis and restore the computers using trusted media.

Train employees not to open attachments unless they are expecting them. Also, do not execute software that is downloaded from the Internet unless it has been scanned for viruses. Simply visiting a compromised Web site can cause infection if certain browser vulnerabilities are not patched.

Yes it is..Can anything be done to prevent this?Judging by all the new member screen names,I am guessing they aren't looking for striper tips....

Norton 2006 will remove it. I had uninstalled my version of Norton because it is a pig. I opened the forum and noticed my computer acting funny. I clicked on the "Bug Alert" and realized why. I immediately shut the computer off. Restarted and reinstalled Norton2006. It took a while because it had to log on to the interweb to update itself. When I ran a scan it found 3 instances of the virus noted above and removed them. Thanks Norton whoever you are.

I had the same problem jammed my cumputer right up and wreaked havoc with the whole thing. These hacker morons should all be shot.

Yes it is..Can anything be done to prevent this?Judging by all the new member screen names,I am guessing they aren't looking for striper tips....

This guy is most likely exploiting known security flaws in this version of the forum software. The only thing that will help is to upgrade to the latest current version, but that costs money. You guys might want to consider rounding up donations to send to Z so we can fix this once and for all.

keep your anti virus software running (scanning), and updated at all times, it should warn you prior to opening any page further. I noticed it, and just got out of the page hoping and knowing this sites webmaster would take care of it. Its to bad someone has do do this for kicks. this is a great site, minor problem.

M and Son

Thanks for the warning but my auto virus already kicked in and started protecting my pc-

NH Dad.

I got the virus alert on my pc when I logged onto the forum last week and it immediately started to delete the virus -

thanks for the heads up

I am already working on the upgrade, we have so much information here that it's a harder move than I thought.

BUT, it's getting moved. Some things may change a little and I will warn everyone when I close the site to upgrade.

Thanks guys.. it's such a pain. I had the whole second server I use hacked and have spent the last 3 weeks working on restoring everything...

The hackers are starting to get taught in class how to do this ######. Most of it's from Turkey, India and other mid-eastern countries where, wouldn't you know it, all the service centers for the god damn computers are and you can't understand a word they are saying...

oops... my temper flared. can you tell I've been on the phone with people who don't speak english well....

:fish:

averagejoe... let me guess, your a mac guy!

I have both, so it depends on the work and the client which I use....

Yup... Microsoft has many many security holes, it kinda comes with the whole - release the project even if not 100% done ideas so they can get more stuff out to buy.

Very few people take time with MAC virus stuff becuase they used to do a lot more testing before each release. It might change now that they are competing but generally, macs are less prone to security and virus issues. They are better at graphics when printing and user friendly.

I use both machines since most businesses run on pc computers. So I work with what I need for the client end. For graphics the preperation doesn't matter on each computer but MAC is so much better at the screen to print visual. What you see is really what you get for graphics.

I love cross platform work!