• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
smokey

what's the best week to fish Cape cod

What's the best week   16 members have voted

1. 1. What's the best week

• week 24 second week of June to catch the schoolies
    • week 36 last week of August plenty of striper & blues
    • week 38 middle of September, Fall run starts
    • week 41 first week of October full swing for the fall run

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 posts in this topic

those are just my first picks but if you can think of a better time let me know.

I left out the summer time because of the crowds and the price.

the other decision would be were to buy.

Guess it depends on what your after. If it were me I'd be going in October in hopes of that 50#er but any time to cast for stripers, big or small, is good too I guess :(

Hi Smokey

I'm certainly no expert on CC, but I did like the lack of crowds when I visited this past October.

Good luck in your search for the dream week.

Is a time share your New Years resolution? :(

On the outter beaches the second week of June and the last week of September are my pick. Early June is not a schoolie time, this is usually a good shot for some nice fish in the 30 to maybe 40 pounds. Late September will often produce large numbers of nice fish and more consistent fishing. October is harder fishing due to wind and the need to search for pods of fish. if your looking for the bigger ones.

Bob: I was thinking of that to. or p-town, or the vineyard, or Nantucket. I'm trying to keep the price reasonable.

I'm starting to lean more toward the first week in September. There's plenty of big fish around and still a good chance of beach weather for the wife, and the kids might still be out of school.( although if this is for me I don't think I want to bring the wife and kids.)

it's to hard ti decide, I guess I'll just have to buy a place and go there when ever I want. :D If only I had the $$

Guyaz: not a new years resolution I already took care of that when I quit smoking (over 7 months ago :( )

More like a 40th birthday/mid life crisis present. It's better than a sports car or a girl friend.

I agree about the summer time crowds, traffic and prices.

I'd suggest early spring and late summer, before and after school vacations.

Well the weeks are hard to pick seeing I don't really want to be there

during a storm or a full moon so a floating week fits best. I am going to

try and do it but I have a few Credit card problems first

Bob were are you priorities!!! :( the bill will always be there, the striper are only here for about 6 or 7 months then there gone. :bluefish:

Smokey & Bob.

I've always wanted to fish Cuttyhunk at the fishing club. A few weeks ago I wrote to inquire about prices and availability for late Sept and early Oct 2007. I got a reply stating rooms are still available and prices are $170.00. Again you most likely already know that Cuttyhunk is a no frills very small island. Bob, they don't take credit cards here.

http://www.cuttyhunkfishingclub.com/

As far as the cape goes, July and August you will find the traffic is very heavy and beach / shore access is tough. Like you mentioned in early Sept right after Labor day the prices drop, a lot less traffic and best of all there are still plenty of fish around. One negative side is you can get face the possibility of getting a nasty tropical storm.

I also like P.Town, Race Point, Head of the Meadow, Nauset Beach, The Vineyard and Nantucket. Here is a link to the Cape Cod National Seashore

http://www.nps.gov/archive/caco/home.html

Here is the link about ORV’s

http://www.nps.gov/archive/caco/activities...sand/index.html

Nauset Beach costs are @ $140.00 just like at Race Point for a permit that runs April through November.

http://www.town.orleans.ma.us/pdf/departme...s/orvinfo06.pdf

Thinking of Sandwich? How about Sandy Neck and the barrier beach? It’s close and very accessible. The ORV permits at Sandy Neck cost a lot less, @ $50.00. The permits at Sandy Neck run from April to April and there is no limit on how many issued. The beach is approx five miles long. From Sandwich you can easily hit the canal and also I think you’ll find Sandwich less crowded than other areas on the cape during the peak periods. Here is link to Sandy Neck in Sandwich.

http://www.town.barnstable.ma.us/SandyNeck/orvStatus.asp

However nothing beats Race Point or the Islands, but Cuttyhunk may and I hope this year to try it out.

Like someone else mentioned - Sept and Oct watch our for tropical storms they could ruin any fishing plans.

Good Luck,

We have a group of five that have settled on the last week of Sept. We've been happy with that slot, crowds, prices, etc. We've done well with the fish then, especially this past year.

We also do the first week of June. Always better weather and we camp for that trip, but I like the fall trip better, not as many fish, but definately bigger fish.

Grampy, I fished Cuttyhunk last year twice once in the spring and once in the fall.

The fishing was much better in the fall.

But if you have a hard time walking this is no place for the guy who wants to

just walk to the water from the parking lot, it's not for you.

there is no transportation there everything is by foot, and the shore line is

all rocks very tough walking.

Bob,

Thanks for the info on Cutthunk. Everything you stated is acceptable to me. The rocky shore from what you said and the pictures I've seen sounds like prime fishing spots. The other part about walking to everything will keep it just for fishing and I'm all for that.

Bob, do they allow fishermen to bring their canal bikes? Not a big deal if they don't - just a thought.

I'm just concerned that if I book for late Sept or early Oct I may get a storm that would ruin everything and loose my deposit.

Thanks again,

There are much better places to stay on Cuttyhunk then the Cuttyhunk Fishing club. Especially if you have 4 or more people who can stay a week. You can rent a place with a full kitchen and a washer and dryer, a very nice addition. Out of season you can get these places any where from 900 to 1400 for the week. If you build a good relationship with the owner you might be able to use a golf cart part of the time.

If you want to fish the islands and you have a group of 4, a 4-wheel SUV and a week don't forget Nantucket.

But in the long run I think your better off on the cape itself. Easier to make short notice reservations, easier to move around when fishing conditions change, no need for a ferry, and if your from NH you get your fill of fishing rocky areas.

Cape Cod is a big place. Too big to even guess at one week being better than others.

If I were going to be surf fishing, I'd pick the week of the full moon tides in June, July, Sept or October; but be flexible. There is a lot of good fishing in Cape Cod Bay as opposed to Nauset and the outer beaches. In fact, this past year the fishing on the bay side was way ahead of the outer beaches all season long.

If your serious about surf fishing, use your daytime to scout out places for the following nights fishing. Traffic will slow you down during the day and some beaches will be pretty croweded with fishermen, surfers and bathers. At night you don't have those problems.

Get to know the tackle shops in the area your fishing. Biggest isn't always best and there is a lot of good information available from most shops. Check out local conditions and fishing reports on www.flyfishsaltwaters.com - it's not just a fly fishing site but it is a cape cod site. Some of the best shops from mid to outer cape are Riverview(S.Yarmouth), Hook-Up and Bait Shack (Orleans), Blackbeard's(Eastham) and Nelson's in P'Town. If you're flyfishing, there is an Orvis shop in

E. Harwich and Nauset Angler in Orleans.

Get a good cape cod atlas. I like the "Arrow" Street Atlas. If your going to fish the Race, Nauset or the other outer beaches, visit the CCNat'l. Seashore visitor center on Rte.6 in Eastham and get their latest map. Also, get a fishing walk-on permit for the beaches within the national seashore. It's free and allows you to park at night while fishing.