• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DDQ

Help me choose a good surf casting rod

15 posts in this topic

I have been making a surf fishing trip to the OBX in NC every june when the big blues are running. My buddy and I always do pretty good on blues rigs and cutbait, but want to try some artificial bait this june for fun. The blues we will be casting for are usually anywhere from 9-15lbs. Are there any good baitcast reels that would work well for casting plugs and lures, or do I need a spinning reel? For fish that size, what kind of lure should I use and what size? What is normally the best length and action rod for casting plugs and working them in the water? Thanks for the help! I have never fished anything artificial in saltwater.

your better off with spinning reels if your gonna be plugging. if you really want conventional then atleast go with a level wind so that you wont have to worry about leveling the line on the reel. as for rods, your best bet is to go into a good tackle shop and tell em what you are going to be doing... they know best. line is personal preference. some like braid, some hate it. i love fireline in the 14/20lb for plugging. there are many lures that will work for blues (maybe too many :lol: ). metal would be the best and there are plenty of kinds. hopkins, stingsilvers, kastmasters, and plenty more. dont forget a shock leader and more importantly a short wire leader so they wont bite you off. and then just pray that the fish are there and youll be all set

your better off with spinning reels if your gonna be plugging. if you really want conventional then atleast go with a level wind so that you wont have to worry about leveling the line on the reel. as for rods, your best bet is to go into a good tackle shop and tell em what you are going to be doing... they know best. line is personal preference. some like braid, some hate it. i love fireline in the 14/20lb for plugging. there are many lures that will work for blues (maybe too many :lol: ). metal would be the best and there are plenty of kinds. hopkins, stingsilvers, kastmasters, and plenty more. dont forget a shock leader and more importantly a short wire leader so they wont bite you off. and then just pray that the fish are there and youll be all set

Thanks for the reply. So anything silver and heavy should work fine? How about for topwater?

blues will attack just about anything that moves so any topwater plug will work (I've seen people catch them on beer cans)

Blues put teeth marks in wood plugs and they shred soft baits. I agree that metal's the best way to catch them. They'll bite anything that moves. Tin squid or a Kastmaster or other flashy spoon work fine.

If you want to enjoy the sport of catching blues and not just crank them in, I'd go with a fairly light set up, something that throws lures in the 3/4-1 1/2 oz. range, the kind that some of us call a "schoolie rig." Mine is an 8 1/2 foot heavy action St. Croix Wild River steelhead rod with a Shimano Sustain 4500 reel, spooled with 20 lb. Fireline.

Blues put teeth marks in wood plugs and they shred soft baits. I agree that metal's the best way to catch them. They'll bite anything that moves. Tin squid or a Kastmaster or other flashy spoon work fine.

If you want to enjoy the sport of catching blues and not just crank them in, I'd go with a fairly light set up, something that throws lures in the 3/4-1 1/2 oz. range, the kind that some of us call a "schoolie rig." Mine is an 8 1/2 foot heavy action St. Croix Wild River steelhead rod with a Shimano Sustain 4500 reel, spooled with 20 lb. Fireline.

So having a heavy action rod is important for "working" the lure in the water as well as casting? I was looking through my surfcaster cataog and like the look of the hopkins spoon but the description said it was used more for other species and bluefish was not in the description, will a hopkins work? I have seen people fishing for smaller blues (1-2lbs) off the piers at the beach using gotcha plugs, Im guessing I would need a lure much bigger for the size fish I will be casting to? Thanks!

Hopkins have been catching blues for many years. When I was a kid that's just about all my dad ever had as far as metal casting lures. You can launch em a "mile" as well.

So is silver the best color to use? Ive seen the big white and red spoons that look like they could cast a mile as well. Is there a particular color that works best for topwater? Ive noticed white and red seems to be the most popular gotcha plugs used when pier fishing for small blues.

Best top water blues action I ever had was on a blue fish bomb that Tattoobob was kind enough to lone me at the race. It's just a yellow chunk of hard plastic with a single hook on the back. It casts a mile and you just real it in fast. If the blues are out there they'll fight over it.

the orange one in the middle is my favorite

post-1293-1174384207_thumb.jpg

DDQ, What area of the Banks do you fish?? I use to live in Hatteras year round but now live back in NH. I have a trailer there so I go all the time still. Usually fish from Avon south to Ocracoke. Just got back last week and had a good early season drum run. Good luck!

DS

DDQ, What area of the Banks do you fish?? I use to live in Hatteras year round but now live back in NH. I have a trailer there so I go all the time still. Usually fish from Avon south to Ocracoke. Just got back last week and had a good early season drum run. Good luck!

DS

I take my truck on the ferry from Davis to Cape Lookout and drive down to the south end and fish the point and rock jetty. I went 2 years ago for thanksgiving and caught more puppy drum than I knew what to do with, but did not catch any big drum like I was hoping to.

For plugs the Robert's ranger 2oz in green or red/white work well. Line stretcher in 2 oz flo pink is another good choice. If you want subsurface go with metal either charlie graves or hopkins.

If you want a conventional reel the Abu 7000PR is a good pick or a 6500CS Mag if your just learning to use a conventional. In any case once you become proficient get rid of the levelwind from the reel, there easy to remove. Learn to use you thumb. If you go with a spinning reel the Penn Slammer 560 is a good pick.

For rods I like one piece customs. In this case I like either the 1088 (9') or 1208 (10') blank, fugi reel seat and guides with a cork tape grip. These blanks work for either conventional or spinning set ups. If you want a factor 2-piece rod in the 100 dollar range the Lami SK10MHC (conventional) or SK10MS (spinning will do the trick.

For plugs the Robert's ranger 2oz in green or red/white work well. Line stretcher in 2 oz flo pink is another good choice. If you want subsurface go with metal either charlie graves or hopkins.

If you want a conventional reel the Abu 7000PR is a good pick or a 6500CS Mag if your just learning to use a conventional. In any case once you become proficient get rid of the levelwind from the reel, there easy to remove. Learn to use you thumb. If you go with a spinning reel the Penn Slammer 560 is a good pick.

For rods I like one piece customs. In this case I like either the 1088 (9') or 1208 (10') blank, fugi reel seat and guides with a cork tape grip. These blanks work for either conventional or spinning set ups. If you want a factor 2-piece rod in the 100 dollar range the Lami SK10MHC (conventional) or SK10MS (spinning will do the trick.

Thanks for the advice. Ive been using Abu Garcia 5501's for bash fishing and love them. Ive removed the level wind on a couple cheap guide series reels for drum fishing and I used silicone to fill the holes in the reel where the levelwind went. Is there a better way to fill the holes in the abur garcia 7000? Id hate to mess up a nice real like that.