• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GRAMPY

DON'T LET THE DRAGGERS RUIN YOUR FISHING

6 posts in this topic

THE NEW PROPOSED REGS WILL NEGATIVELY IMPACT ALL SALTWATER FISHERMEN IN MASSACHUSETTS NO MATTER IF YOU FISH FROM SHORE OR BOAT.THESE NEW REGULATIONS WILL SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCE THE NATURAL BAIT SUPPLY FOR STRIPED BASS AND I THINK WE ALL KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT

Please take a second to review this letter and don't hesitate to use it or use part of it. If you can respond , please do so before the end of this week to;

Dr. Thomas French, Acting Commissioner

Department of Fish & Game

251 Causeway St., Suite 400

Boston, MA 02114

DMF Director Paul Diodati

Commonwealth of Massachusetts

Division of Marine Fisheries

21 Causeway Street

Suite 400

Boston, Massachusetts 02114

Mr. Ian Bowles

Executive Office of Environmental Affairs

100 Cambridge Street

Suite 900

Boston, MA 02114

In a very controversial vote that was a tie until the pro commercial chair of the MA Marine Fisheries Commission voted in favor, the inshore state waters, within three miles was opened up to commercial draggers of all sizes and there will be no trip limits on the dragging of Squid. This is an extension of the commercial fishery we all watch on the horizon while fishing from both boat and shore. The MA DMF was proposing another plan but it failed.

The motion that passed will bring larger commercial vessels inside three miles with no trip limits and both the unlimited removal of more forage (Squid) and the potential extreme amount of bycatch will be devastating. This is a very small area where squid come right to the beach for a short time to spawn. Invariably scup, small bluefish and bass are mixed with the squid in fairly large concentrations and the possibility of tremendous discards is quite likely. This area has been closed to trawling at this time for 69 years and with good reason.

The precedent this sets is the altering of the three mile limit. This will interrupt the Squid and Fish migration up towards Chatham and around Race Point and it will possibly affect fishing all the way into Massachusetts Bay. Bait is the key to any species, food chain and all, and to allow more, larger commercial boats to come in and sweep that away WILL have a major impact upon the fisheries in those areas.

The Mass Fisheries commission has voted to take an action that does not represent the recreational angler's interests, will damage Recreational Fishing in the area and most importantly will damage the overall health of the areas fisheries in a way that is just unacceptable. Please, do not approve this regulatory change.

Thank you.

Maybe we need to start a petition maybe one by email or something, I know people are generally lazy and will think someone else will take care of it...... and they will. Only the people who do something about it will be the draggers and with no opposition they can do just about anything they want with no protest until it's too late and the damage has been done. Sooooo someone do something :lol:

Maybe we need to start a petition maybe one by email or something, I know people are generally lazy and will think someone else will take care of it...... and they will. Only the people who do something about it will be the draggers and with no opposition they can do just about anything they want with no protest until it's too late and the damage has been done. Sooooo someone do something :lol:

ZIPPY,

I SEE THAT THE MASSACHUSETTS STRIPED BASS ASSOCIATION SENT OUT A FEW E-MAILS TO ALERT ALL MEMBERS. A LOT OF FISHERMEN ON THE CAPE ARE STARTING A PETITION. THE CAPE FISHERMEN ARE GOING TO POST IT AT RED TOP AT THE CANAL AND MAYBE AT THE RI SHOW.

IF THESE NITWIT DRAGGERS ARE ALLOWED TO TAKE THE SQUID I FEEL STRONGLY THAT IT WILL SHOW ON OUR STRIPED BASS FISHING IN MASSACHUSETTS AND PUSH THEM ELSEWHERE TO FIND FOOD OR EVEN CUT DOWN ON THE STRIPED BASS POPULATION ALL TOGETHER. (sorry, I didn't realize I had the caps locked on)

I sent out three letters and got a response to one. So I guess they are listening. I just hope this new regulation doesn't pass. It's taken a long time to rebuild the striped bass population back to like it was in the 60's & early 70's and I sure would hate to take a step backwards.

I find it disturbing that the more we wish to protect our natural surrounding, the more our elected and/or appointed officials want to give it away. Thank you for the addresses and I am sending my letters now. I fish the south Cape and Woods Hole and it was not a good year in 2006. After the commercial fishing took place in late June/July, there was a noticable drop off of Stripe Bass from the shore. Like many up and down the MA coast, there was no fall blitz. It is time to protect our waters, fish and our sport.

THE ACTION IS RESCINDED!

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO GOT INVOLVED -

THIS IS TRULY GREAT NEWS!

March 23, 2007

MarineFisheries Advisory

ACTION RESCINDED TO GRANT EXTENDED DRAGGER ACCESS TO COLLIER’S LEDGE

Acting Commissioner Tom French of the Department of Fish & Game has disapproved a recent action taken by the Marine Fisheries Advisory Commission to grant squid trawlers extended access (May 1 – 8) to near-shore waters in the vicinity of Collier’s Ledge. Under M.G.L. c. 130 §17A the Commissioner approves or disapproves regulatory changes submitted by the Director of the Division of Marine Fisheries as part of the regulatory promulgation process.

To clarify, there will be no change to the regulations governing trawl fishing for squid (322 CMR 3.04(6) & 6.39). The squid season runs April 23rd through June 9th. There are not trip limits as of this date but a 2,500-lb. trip limit for mobile gear fishermen will be enacted when certain quota triggers are reached in any given trimester. MarineFisheries will provide notices of any such triggers and consequent trip limit. Mobile gear will remain prohibited during May 1 – October 31 in the longstandings inshore closure from Mashpee to Eastham (322 CMR 3.04(6)).