• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NH Dad

PENN REELS

9 posts in this topic

Past couple of years I've purchased Okuma products based on cost and I thought they were good value. This year I went for an American made and a better quality reel and purchased two Penns. Now not that this has anything to do with quality but I was disapointed when I opened the Penn box and the first thing I see is a "Made in China" sticker. Being a by product of shipping jobs overseas the first thing I thought was "damn, isn't anything made in here anymore"? Just a little rambling, never expected to see that damn sticker! :lol:

Hold onto all your old penns if you've got em. Penn aint what it used to be.

here here.

I inherited my grandfather's old 113 after he died, and he bought this reel 30 years ago. After I got it, say 6 years ago, this thing is still a brute. It had the chromed brass spool, now they are plastic or whatever they do. Penn used to be very dependable, now, I'm not so sure.

Hopefully with Penn being purchased by K2, they will improve their products and provide the quality and selection we wish to have. Remember, Abu-Garcia reeels are now made in China and not Sweden. Your old conventional 7000 is something to hold on to.

PS: If want old original Penn reels, go on E-bay.

I bought 3 Penn Senators on eBay last winter. Can't wait to run them. Seems eBay sellers always have them. Check out the sellers feedback, and you should do OK.

I purchased a 550g and 650M, compared to my Okuma's these are two solid reels, appearance, feel, smooth action. I was just a little surprised to see "Made in China" sticker on both. Actually can't wait to use them both, I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

I don't think you will be dissapointed. My Dad has a couple of new penns and he has no complaints with them. I just don't think you will be using the same penn reel 40 years from now like some of the old penns from the 60's that are still being used today.

The Chinese are becoming pretty good at making a lot of stuff...no big surprise, considering how much practice they've been getting. If the materials and construction are solid, those newer Penns are probably going to be okay.