• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BigBassin

Illigal fish being taken!!!

27 posts in this topic

Been fishing the Lawrence dam for a few days now. I would like to know what is being done by the goons taking multiple schoolies from the Lawrence dam. It's unbelievable, I was fishing about 50 -75 ft from them and they are handing schoolies under the bridge to their buddies and into their cars like it was legal and nobody is watching. I couldn't believe it! Every single time I go to the dam this is going on and I never see an Game Warden in the area. I wish I had Conservation's number on speed dial. I hope I'm not the only one who is outraged about this and personally I think something needs to be done about this area. If anyone can relate to this I'd love to hear your story and find out what we can do to stop this constant poaching.

I hear this every year about the Lawrence Dam and also at the fish pier in Gloucester. Best thing to do is keep the number handy and call to let them know what you see.

Toll Free Number (800) 632 - 8075

zippy or surfrat have the number i think and next time you see this be sure to call right away because these people are ruining striper fishing for all of us. hearing this stuff really pisses me off so anybody who sees this please call the game warden for all of our sake

It kills ya to see that stuff going on . . I know. Calling the Enviro Police is good - if nothing else, it helps you mentally that you have at least done something. However remember that due to short staffing and inadequate funding, I have been told that there is ONE BOAT and ONE CAR to cover an area from Anisquam River to Hampton Inlet.

Maybe there is a fresh water guy that could jump on them. Hopefully someone of authority will be nearby! Also calling them puts the area on their watch list . . poachers go back to where they are successful and can hide their activities easily.

Lets hope they get 'em . . .

It kills ya to see that stuff going on . . I know. Calling the Enviro Police is good - if nothing else, it helps you mentally that you have at least done something. However remember that due to short staffing and inadequate funding, I have been told that there is ONE BOAT and ONE CAR to cover an area from Anisquam River to Hampton Inlet.

Maybe there is a fresh water guy that could jump on them. Hopefully someone of authority will be nearby! Also calling them puts the area on their watch list . . poachers go back to where they are successful and can hide their activities easily.

Lets hope they get 'em . . .

I understand about the under staffing and lack of funding. But if there is one huge poaching hot spot it's the Lawrence Dam. What happens usually there is about 10-12 guys in the area, under the bridge. About 4 goons will be fishing and the rest will be the lookout guys and take the shorties to thier cars. They'll pass them along to each other like an assembly line. Hell, I'd even volunteer for Conservation to help the matter!

Enviro-police know about the Lawrence Dam and Gloucester pier issues. If you call them they will often respond and I know of several instances where they have shown up and caught the guys red handed. It's not about feeling good and it does work so don't hesitate to call.

I will say the punishment is lacking and often only wrist slap but I have seen several instances where gear has been confiscated and for the typical poacher type this is a big deal.

Keep the number handy and as you say program it into your cell phone.

Iam glad you posted this. Every year I see this and I make calls but then next week seeing it going on agian. Its even worst when they catch one of the alantic salmon heading up there to spawn and they keep it. Its a shame but iam glad Iam not the only one that is making an effort.

Chris

I have the number in my cell but luckily have never had to ring it.

This sucks. I've put the number in my phone and will use it.

Been fishing the Lawrence dam for a few days now. I would like to know what is being done by the goons taking multiple schoolies from the Lawrence dam. It's unbelievable, I was fishing about 50 -75 ft from them and they are handing schoolies under the bridge to their buddies and into their cars like it was legal and nobody is watching. I couldn't believe it! Every single time I go to the dam this is going on and I never see an Game Warden in the area. I wish I had Conservation's number on speed dial. I hope I'm not the only one who is outraged about this and personally I think something needs to be done about this area. If anyone can relate to this I'd love to hear your story and find out what we can do to stop this constant poaching.

Seeing schoolies being taken at the Lawrence Dam is only the start. Wait until the large Stripers arrive and they get poached in record numbers. The few Dam keeper stripers I have seen caught this year have been taken with live river herring and that too is prohibited. There a great number of sportsmen (and women) who fish the Dam and it's to bad there can't be something done about those who could care less about sport or the fish and are there for excess meat and profit. I carry the Environmental Police (EP) number in my cell phone but have not called them yet, maybe it is out of fear of retribution or I know the EP don't really care about the Lawrence Dam or they would already have a more visable presence. I fish there almost daily during the season and have never been asked for a fishing licence.

a discrete phone call is all that is needed if there is a complaint then they should respond. Or maybe someone should email the lawrence eagle news paper about the poaching.....

here is the link to the eagle trib news tip if we can get enough of us to email them they may think it worthy of a story and it may deter them and motivate the enviro police to get a follow up story in the paper. That would make for some good news...

please click link and post the problem eagle link please take a second and see if we can do a little something to help preserve the fishing for us all.

I used to fish the Lawrence dam a few years ago, and stopped. Basically, from a non-fish point of view, everything else about that location sucks. The location itself is very hard to fish and has few locations to fish from. You can't legally fish the pool under the bridges, the one place you really want to be. You can guarantee losing tackle on about every 3rd cast on the rocks. It's in an ugly area, there are parking (and safety) problems, and it's infested with immigrants who poach as many fish as they can (and some of them are ######***** too). Don't waste your time there; go down to the Chain Bridge or Plum Island.

some of them are what???

I see this on a regular basis. I can't imagine calling the police though...I live right on top of the fishing hole and if it was ever discoverd that I made the call well I wouldn't feel very safe...pretty sad.

Thanks for giving us feedback!

Below is what you submitted to online_editor@eagletribune.com on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 at 13:30:38

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

topic: poaching at lawrence dam

article: Lots of reports of sub legal stripers being taken at lawrence dam news of a poaching ring taking salmon as well as fishing with river herring (also banned) reports of enviro police ignoring the situation even though they are aware of it

My report!!!! Don't just ###### about it do something about it

let's see if something is done if we all post a tip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I pretty much live at the dam from April to July and also witness the poaching going on. From what I am told it is an organized poaching ring. They take their catch and sell it to the small mom and pop stores who turn around and sell it as a fish under a different name. If you call the epo's you better leave the area first because there are people who watch everyone else on the river. If you catch a fish and some one sees it they will run back and tell the guys fishing and the next thing you know you have 3 other people in your back pocket casting to your hole. If you make a phone call and the epo's show up soon after, you will be targeted for retaliation. If you really want to end the poaching you need to video tape the action including the licence plates of the vehicles that the fish are being stashed in. Find the location of the stores that are buying this fish and get the epo's to ticket them. If there are no buyer then there in no need to poach.

Hey Redfish I haven't seen you around you must have found where the fish are because they're not up at the dam. I managed to get 1@ 29" and 1@ 31" on Monday but Tues & Wed got the skunk. Took the canoe to another location today and picked up 2 @ 36".

See you around.

I sent them what you said Cat, about the organized poaching ring, I think it would make a good story. I know the enviro police made a bust over in Danvers a few years back and were staking out the whites fuel bridge.

IVE GOT THIS NUMBER ON SPEED-DIAL FISH POLICE---> 1-800-632-8037

GOOD LUCK GOOD FISHIN :D

I pretty much live at the dam from April to July and also witness the poaching going on. From what I am told it is an organized poaching ring. They take their catch and sell it to the small mom and pop stores who turn around and sell it as a fish under a different name. If you call the epo's you better leave the area first because there are people who watch everyone else on the river. If you catch a fish and some one sees it they will run back and tell the guys fishing and the next thing you know you have 3 other people in your back pocket casting to your hole. If you make a phone call and the epo's show up soon after, you will be targeted for retaliation. If you really want to end the poaching you need to video tape the action including the licence plates of the vehicles that the fish are being stashed in. Find the location of the stores that are buying this fish and get the epo's to ticket them. If there are no buyer then there in no need to poach.

Hey Redfish I haven't seen you around you must have found where the fish are because they're not up at the dam. I managed to get 1@ 29" and 1@ 31" on Monday but Tues & Wed got the skunk. Took the canoe to another location today and picked up 2 @ 36".

See you around.

Cat, it's not only the poachers who invade your productive fishing area, when we saw you were the only one catching decent sized stripers today, we too climbed down the rocks and waded in to your area. Hopefully we didn't disrupt your solitude and "fish" but you are gathering the reputation of someone to watch. However, its hard keeping up with you. :D

I don't like fishing Lawrence either, but I'll tell you, after fishing, hit Lawtons Hot Dog Stand. If you eat outside by the canal, you can see a whole bunch of big carp swimming by.

Cat, it's not only the poachers who invade your productive fishing area, when we saw you were the only one catching decent sized stripers today, we too climbed down the rocks and waded in to your area. Hopefully we didn't disrupt your solitude and "fish" but you are gathering the reputation of someone to watch. However, its hard keeping up with you. ;)

You guys don't interfere with my fishing, if anything you guys make me look better than I am when I am doing all the catching and no one else is. :D

Call the EPO's if you see poaching going on. They will bust these poachers. The EPO's busted them in Salisbury last summer.

I used to fish the Lawrence dam a few years ago, and stopped. Basically, from a non-fish point of view, everything else about that location sucks. The location itself is very hard to fish and has few locations to fish from. You can't legally fish the pool under the bridges, the one place you really want to be. You can guarantee losing tackle on about every 3rd cast on the rocks. It's in an ugly area, there are parking (and safety) problems, and it's infested with immigrants who poach as many fish as they can (and some of them are ######***** too). Don't waste your time there; go down to the Chain Bridge or Plum Island.