• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Finlord

6/7 river mouth - First time out, first keeper and blues

7 posts in this topic

My two friends and I went out for our first time finally this year. Really late start for us but it was worth the wait.

We fished the evening outgoing tide. Interestingly the fish were hitting all through the tide even mid tide and people up and down the beach seemed to be landing respectable sized schoolies in the 16-20" range pretty consistently.

Guy next to us was doing really well with whole 6" herring that he picked up in Haverhill somewhere.

Fish seemed like they were not picky though. We threw clams, chunk herring and pogies at them. Surfland had pogies and boy did the stripers seem to like them as well! Thanks Kay!!!

The biggest surprise was we landed 2 blues! First time in 6 years of fishing the mouth that I've seen blues landed there from the beach. I was disappointed because I barely knew I had anything on with mine after the initial hit till I saw it skip across the water close to the beach.

My friend hooked into a big fish that he lost but then on the next cast hooked into another that was peeling line and ended up being a 28" keeper (on the nose).

The bite got a bit more tricky as the nite wore on. The stripers would nibble and peck at the bait for several minutes before taking it. If you weren't patient for them to take it you'd pull at the wrong time and help them strip the bait off your hook.... Was frustrating I missed so many strikes which I normally don't.

We fished until just about slack low tide and the fish were still biting but we were wiped. One of the better fishing days I've experienced down there with the whole group landing fish consistently through the outing plus a keeper.

Can't wait to get out again

sounds like a great day.

the action has been pretty steady for the past mabye 3 or 4 weeks ( in beverly anyway) ive been using herrin and i havent got skunked except the first last week of april

TIGHT LINES

B.Cyr

Congrats Finlord on your first trip out. Good report. I'll be there Sunday morning, for my second trip. :wacko: I'll give report when I get home.

Yet another fantastic report! The reports this year are a lot like the fish, no many but the ones we get are really good! Good to hear you guys had a good first outing! Congrats on the keeper!

We released it back unto the wild to prosper and make more keepers!

Plus I still don't feel great about eating anything swimming around in the River after those storms these last 2 years.... If you'd see what the river banks look like up in the Lowell area after the flood waters subside you might feel the same way....

I need to pick myself up a cheap digital to take some photos because I'm not taking my Rebel up there with me at night in the sand...

BTW if anyone knows of this place in Haverhill that has the 6" Herring please advise!!!

That place in Haverhill where that guy got the herring is called River Street Bait & Tackle. They are on River street. They are awesome. They have awesome bait at awesome prices.

live herrin? ive been hearing from multiple baitshops that theres gunna be no fresh for about a month