• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NH Dad

Hampton/Seabrook

5 posts in this topic

After being out of commision (work & back) it was good to get out for a couple of hours. My sons and I fished the Hampton river yesterday from 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM. We started off in the basin area on the Seabrook side but soon spotted terns working out by the rocks at the mouth. Not sure what the bait was but it kept the birds busy while we were there.

First tried a Gibbs popper with out much luck, went to a pearl storm shad without any luck then I tried the combination. Picked up a few schoolies before the birds moved off. Still not sure what the bait was, if anyone has any idea please pass it along, thanks!

Good report NH. Last time I was there, terns were working the water but not much. Possibly sand eels?? I'm usually casting clams. :wacko:

Could be squid. We have quite a few down the south Cape beaches.

Mmmm, squid - I'm still not sure what the bait was as I tried again last night. I only picked up a couple of schoolies as the terns were working further out. What ever the bait is it's small, the terns are small and weren't coming out of the water with anything visible in their bills. Seems like there is more bait than stripers this year! :wacko:

Mmmm, squid - I'm still not sure what the bait was as I tried again last night. I only picked up a couple of schoolies as the terns were working further out. What ever the bait is it's small, the terns are small and weren't coming out of the water with anything visible in their bills. Seems like there is more bait than stripers this year! :wacko:

I think it's either sandeels or silversides. FYI, sandeels aren't real eels at all. Yes I also think there is a lot more bait available this year. Last observation, most Stripers caught this year are loaded with sea lice, they are larger and most have fat bellies which is not a bad thing.