• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
redfish

Weekend results PI and Elsewhere

12 posts in this topic

Fished the last 2 1/2 hours of the outgoing tide at the Merrimack/PI sandbar and did okay on Saturday caught 6 stripers 20-24" and 4 blues around 6 lbs. Did the exact same thing on Sunday and was skunked and saw very few fish being taken. Has anyone been surf fishing elsewhere and getting any results? Cat where have you been fishing? Cat is generally always catching fish.

Fished the last 2 1/2 hours of the outgoing tide at the Merrimack/PI sandbar and did okay on Saturday caught 6 stripers 20-24" and 4 blues around 6 lbs. Did the exact same thing on Sunday and was skunked and saw very few fish being taken. Has anyone been surf fishing elsewhere and getting any results? Cat where have you been fishing? Cat is generally always catching fish.

I have been busy catching up on things I have neglected from April to June to go fishing but I have been thinking about hitting Halibut point one night this week if not then a night trip to Joppa in the kayak .There are a few schoolies left in the North Andover and Haverhill section of the Merrimack R.

Made it out finally after 2 weeks yesterday in a friends boat. Trolled outside the mouth and got a handful of 5-7# blues on a variety of lures. Managed 1 striper @ 23" but nice and fat. Most sucessful pulling lobster traps for a bit yielding 20 keepers. All in all a slow day on the water but better than watching the idiot box. Didn't much feel like July 1 though!! more like mid October. BBBRRRR!!

:wacko:

It has been slow on the south Cape. However, we are between new moons and should start picking up around the 8th or 10th of July. I have four keepers all caught from shore and on hogy's and storm shad 6".

Saturday,....one @ 20 ,one skate........Salisbury beach

Sunday ..........skunk ......Dover Point

Monday.........skunk ........Salisbury beach

Fished both the high and low tides....clams and seaworms.......slugo

Man this is turning out to be a crappy year for me so far. Well I have the rest of the week to recoup so maybe :wacko:

I'm not sure on the bag limit, I was just a grunt laborer/friend that day :wacko: My 2 buddies have rec/com permits and they do sell a few from time to time. I do know they have 58 traps between the 2 of them and I think they are each allowed 100 traps. This is NH coast as well.

Looks like a nice weekend to go fishing......finally!

See ya on the water ans tight lines,

DS

If they sell any at all (usually all are given to friends/family), they sell them for $5.00 a piece. Just enough to help off-set some of the gas and bait costs. The funny thing is that as hard a job as it is doing it for recreation is a blast. On just a strictly recreation permit you are allowed 5 traps per person, next year me and my wife will get one. The kids will love this sport for sure.

Tight lines,

DS

If they sell any at all (usually all are given to friends/family), they sell them for $5.00 a piece. Just enough to help off-set some of the gas and bait costs. The funny thing is that as hard a job as it is doing it for recreation is a blast. On just a strictly recreation permit you are allowed 5 traps per person, next year me and my wife will get one. The kids will love this sport for sure.

Tight lines,

DS

So, how do I become friends with them?

Yea I think for recreation it looks fun, because you can go out on nice days and only do so many.

I would love to try that. Anyone see dirty jobs last night where the 17 and 19 year old already

owned two boats and have been lobstering for 6 years. Pretty impressive.

I got a glimpse as to where all the herring goes though. That seems like a awful lot of bait every day to use.

No wonder that the ocean can not sustain it. Just saying if that one supplier used that many herring each day, how much

over the whole eastern seaboard is being used. Is there even that many herring, I don't know.

Im just saying not starting trouble. I understand its hard enough to catch lobsters let alone use inferior bait.