• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bill Hubbard

RIP Harry Koons

3 posts in this topic

Harry Charles Koons II, 57, of East Orleans, passed away unexpectedly on Thursday, Dec. 13, 2007.

He is survived by his friend and wife, Julianne Burnham Koons; three beautiful daughters, the loves of his life, Emily Gagon, Amy Koons and Rebekkah Koons of New Hampshire; a niece and nephew, Nicole Monahan and Erik Bordman. He is predeceased by his parents, Catharine and Richard Koons, and his sister, Susan Bordman.

Harry accomplished many feats during his short life and lived his life to the fullest. His greatest passion and joy, besides his devoted friends and family, were fishing and music. He always felt at peace on the water, organized many bonefish trips in the Bahamas and Mexico, and owned and operated the Nauset Angler. He was written about in many journals on his original designs of the tackle, and was commissioned by many for his artistic talent.

More recently, he got back to his music. He would sit for hours playing his mandolin, and had plans for a Christmas CD with his old friends from school.

He will be dearly missed by many. Obit. from Capecodder

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I met Harry only a few days after I moved to the Cape in 2003. It was late October and I headed out to fish Nauset Inlet for the first time that year. Driving out beach road in Orleans I noticed the sign for Nauset Angler. It was about 5 AM and the shop was closed, but I marked it to stop by on the way home later.

As I recall, I had a pretty good morning, releasing a bunch of schoolies and taking home one fish a little under 30" for supper. I stopped at Nauset Angler on the way home and met Harry Koons and was delighted to find it was a full service fly shop. While I never became close to him, I liked Harry and always stopped by the shop when in the area. Later, when I worked in Orleans at The Hook-Up, a non Fly Shop, I would often refer customers looking for flies or fly gear to Harry and he sent spin and bait fishermen to us frequently.

Harry was a gentlemen and a great source for up-to-date fishing information with no BS. The kind of fishing tackle shop owner you always hope to find and quite often do not. I moved from the Cape to Florida this past June so, I did not hear about Harry's demise until a couple weeks ago. He will be sadly missed by fishermen on Cape Cod and visitors too.

The first picture is a painting, Pochet Fog by Tony Stetzko that reminds me of Harry and other folks I used to fish with

The second is a picture of Harry on Nauset with a nice fish.

post-2914-1199110567_thumb.jpg

post-2914-1199111460_thumb.jpg

Hey Bill

Sorry to hear about this fellow angler.

57 is way too young.

Never thought I'd be writing that, but it is all relative as we age.

Jim

BILL, YES he will be missed, met harry some years back, just when he was getting better an started

his new shop. everytime I went there I always brought him a new fly I tied, he use to swap me one of his,

R.I.P. HARRY, see you on the outher side

GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN