• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bill Hubbard

AMAZING FLORIDA WILDLIFE

5 posts in this topic

Jim and I fished the Banana River between the Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge and the Thousand Islands yesterday.

This is an amazing area with many Mangrove Islands cut by channels varrying from 6' to 6" deep.

As you go west toward the Inland Waterway, you also find "spoils Islands that provide some interesting habitat for Snook Redfishl, Trout and other gamefish.

We hit this area about 9 AM yesterday morning off SR-590 in Titusville. Paddling south, across a huge flat, we spooked many fish.

As we got down into the mangrove islands area we found fish feeding up gainst the mangrove roots and, many were tailing redfish. Some were Snook.

I started into one small cove but decided against fishing it when it's "owner" showed up, quite suddenly. It took little persuasion for me to back quietly out of that cove and go on looking for more piscine quarry.

We found a few tailng redfish and spooked a lot of other fish in really shallow waters - 6-12". This was a place only a kayak or a wading fisherman could fish. But you needed a boat or yak to get to those flats. We only saw one other fisherman with a guide all day long.

We also saw Anhingas, Osprey fishing, an eagle and many, many Egrets and other water birds. This area generates over $10,000,000 from visiting bird watchers each year to the local economy

Luck was not with us as we ended up with no strikes, no hits and not fish.

post-2914-1205364921_thumb.jpg

cool story! were you fishing spinning gear? or throwing flies??

cool story! were you fishing spinning gear? or throwing flies??

We were both fly fishing. Judging from the results, we probably should have been spin or bait fishing. But fishing isn't all of it. Nice thing about fishing from a yak in those mangrove islands is the wildlife keeps your interest peaked, to say the least. You'r almost as likely to see a gator or a cottonmouth as you are a Pelican or an Osprey. Upper Banana River, Haulover Canal and Mosquito Lagoon alone would take years to explore and fish properly..

thats awesome! i'm not much of a snake fan but thats ok! well keep us updated on your fishing adventures i for one am dying to get out and fish but we still have the better part of 2 feet of snow at my house unfortunately. good luck and tight lines!

thats awesome! i'm not much of a snake fan but thats ok! well keep us updated on your fishing adventures i for one am dying to get out and fish but we still have the better part of 2 feet of snow at my house unfortunately. good luck and tight lines!

i'm no snake fan either. But, realize my camera is shooting with a 300 mm lense and I'm not as close to thos gators and snakes as it may appear.

You know, the most amazing thing about the Merritt Island/ Mosquito Lagoon area with all its' wildlife is that it's only a few miles from C.Canaveral where we send all those rockets and shuttles into space.