• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mako171

Parker River Fish Count

6 posts in this topic

The Parker River Clean Water Association is organizing their 12th annual fish (Alewife) count on the Parker River and they need volunteers to be fish counters. There is a Training Session and Sign Up Meeting scheduled on April 7th from 1830 until 2000 hours at the Newbury Town Library in Byfield MA . . . they train you how to be a counter, then if you still want to do it, you sign up/volunteer for a specific 10 minute counting window at one of two dam sites on the Parker River between the hours of 0800 and 1900 starting sometime in mid-April and continuing until about mid-May . . .

I’ve never done this before, but it seems like a good cause. The Association provides the counts to Marine Biologists to assess the relative health of the Parker River Watershed and I am sure that you can volunteer for more than one ten minute session at a time . . . making it a bit more efficient for out of towners to participate. Family participation is also an option.

More Info at 1 978 462 2551

Also read the article in todays Newburyport Daily News - page 18

Can i bring my ultra light with me. :banana: Just kidding .Seems intresting.

198 views and only one reply and no one going to attend and try to help out a good cause?

C'mon people. Time to give back to the fishes and the people who study them. These types of data collection help the scientists understad what is going on and why the herring stopped swimming up the many rivers and streams in Massachusetts, and maybe figure out how to reverse the trend. Maybe they can help the alewives, but they need our help.

The more alewife and herring there are, the more bass there are. Simple formula.

Could be fun to count the fishes, and maybe you learn something that will help you in the future.

I would have loved to help out, but work gets in the way of these thing for me

when they are on week days. I always try to help

Ya i can't do it as well because of work.Sounds intresting though.I'll probaly go see it done when the time comes and bring the munchkin with me.She'll get a kick out of it.