• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
CityStriper78

First Fish of the Year

24 posts in this topic

Ok guys, when will you catch your first "fresh" fish of the year around the North Shore?

I'm saying May 3 for me.

my annual first trip for stripers is april 27th hopefully that will be the day i get my first :banana:

I'm thinking last week in April.But the trout and bass r already biting.

May 17th - no matter how hard I pray or much I wish the bite doesn't happen around here until Mother's Day!

looking like May 1st hopefully if not at least:beerchug: :banana:

Already read a report of stripers with sea lice in Boston haba and reports of herring as well. Could be an early start this year last year was amazing for yak guys out on Joppa and hoping for a repeat this year.

I predict i catch my first striper of the season on April 27, not only that i predict it will be over 40 inches long.

Is going to MD to fish the spring run in the Chesapeake Bay considered cheating?

well, RockSteady, it does say "around the North Shore" of the orginal post, but I guess it doens't say which North Shore, so if you catch it on a north shore of the bay, then it's ok :banana: speaking of that, I saw that "saltwater fishing magazine" show and they were nailing the big bass overthere in Februrary

Defininatly not before the 22nd May. No stripers here in Welsh, or UK waters for that matter.

Come the morning of May 23rd I hope to be slaying them along the cape Starting at nauset, down to bass river and then back to chatham fish pier at about 1am til the early hours. Not sure how long I can keep it up or how long the good lady will let me. If you are out on the beach I will be the one with a tripod, two 13ft rods, 1 popping rod and speaking the queens english in a funny accent.

Hope you all have as much enjoyment all season as I get from my two weeks bassing each year.

good luck all

regards

Mark.B

well, RockSteady, it does say "around the North Shore" of the orginal post, but I guess it doens't say which North Shore, so if you catch it on a north shore of the bay, then it's ok :banana: speaking of that, I saw that "saltwater fishing magazine" show and they were nailing the big bass overthere in Februrary

I saw the same show, they were fishing off VA Beach, the Mouth of the Chesapeake where it meets the Atlantic. The big stripers live there in the winter. I will be fishing further north, its considered mid bay and out of Chesapeake Beach MD.

I spent my childhood fishing on the bay with my father and now my borther and i return every year to fish the stripers when they come home in the spring to spawn.

My first of the year was indeed caught April 27, 10:30am. It was 45 inches and weighed 38lbs 7oz.

Is most likely my last until fall, having sugery on my shoulder the 9th and my right arm will be outta action at least 6 weeks.

Congratulations on the one hand, commiserations on the other. I trust your injury was not down to the fish alone.

Any how I wish you a speedy recovery, personally I chose the physio route. When offered the surgeons knife, the thought of having him remove some of the bodies natural shock absorbers from my shoulder did not seem an ideal solution. still get some pain after a hard days graft. Nothing some basic analgesia and stretching exercises don't fix.

Good luck to you and make it back to the beach soon

Regards

Mark.B

I had my shoulder done on March 17. I'm in my sixth week now. Range of motion is greatly improved but the next few weeks will be spent working on strength. I pulled the operation in as far as I could so I would be ready for spring lobstering and stripers. Didn't want to comprimise deer season either. Would have prob waited until January otherwise. I had 3 pcs of torn cartilidge, a frayed cuff and some arthritis that they ground out. Not sure what your in for but holding a rod in the first 4-5 weeks anyway will be tricky, if not painful as hell. I could probably pull it off now but with care and at a slow pace. Good luck!

Nice fish but you have to tell us a general location where you caught the fish. If it is a real secret, maybe you could tell us the state?

I'd guess Maryland by the content of his first posting.

It was caught off of North Beach in the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland. I grew up on the Chesapeake fishing with my dad and even though i live here now on the North Shore I return home every spring like the stripers and share some memories with some of those i have released in the past.

My shoulder surgery is for a torn rotator cuff and i am having it done now so i will hopefully be able to fish this fall for the big stripers as they head south. Missing the spring run here is going to suck but having it done now should have me ready for late summer blues and big fall stripers off the beach and thank you for all for the kind words on my recovery. The 9th (day of my surgery) is coming to soon but i will be checking here often to see how you all are doing so i hope you guys and ladies make a lot of reports as i will be fishing vicariously through you.

Tight Lines,

Joe

Ok guys, when will you catch your first "fresh" fish of the year around the North Shore?

I'm saying May 3 for me.

Well May 3 has come and gone and I didn't get no fish! I haven't even been out for stripers yet! Hopefully this weekend :banana:

looking like May 1st hopefully if not at least:beerchug: :banana:

Well was pretty drunk up until the 14th first fish Saugus River 18" 630pm outgoing tide

Ok well, this is not really news to everyone, but fish are here and I got some this weekend!

:banana: