• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Megalops

Saltwater Lic. Will be Required by 2009

11 posts in this topic

Federal SW License required by 2009 Season

A Federal Saltwater Fishing license will be required by 2009 says NOAA. See article from Boston.Com.

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/green/gree...ermen_will.html

It's the law - part of Magnusen-Stevenson Act renewal. Only thing can preclude it is if State enacts a SW license before then. I've got $50 says they will so they can get a piece of the action.

Federal SW License required by 2009 Season

A Federal Saltwater Fishing license will be required by 2009 says NOAA. See article from Boston.Com.

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/green/gree...ermen_will.html

It's the law - part of Magnusen-Stevenson Act renewal. Only thing can preclude it is if State enacts a SW license before then. I've got $50 says they will so they can get a piece of the action.

Next thing is air we breath tax you can only inhale so many times a day then they tax you on every breath that you take at $4.05 a breath just like gas and there taxes :banana:

For what it's worth, I just spoke with one of our Florida SW fisheries folks and he advises that if you already have a "Federal S.W. Permit", like the HMS permit, etc. you will not be required to purchase the new one.

Just another tax on the average Joe. I don't think most would actually mind, IF and Only IF the funds went directly to help the fishery. However, based on other Federal Departments they will spend 85% in admin cost to disburse 15%. Again, just another tax on the average smuck!

I actually don't see a problem with the proposed saltwater license requirement. There is no doubt in my mind that recreational fishing has an impact on stripers and it wouldn't be a bad idea to try and figure out what that impact is. I would hope that NOAA Fisheries is the one who oversees the program because they have access to the Coast Guard for enforcement. If the state runs the license we would see the Environmental Police as the agency in charge. And from my experience fishing at the Lawrence Dam, there would be no enforcement.

Also, I'm not sure how the required license would work. For example, in Florida "any resident fishing in saltwater from land or from a structure fixed from land" does not require a license. Perhaps it would be the same for the New England states?

Redfish

As to Florida SW license holders. NOAA says unless the state license is changed to cover folks fishing from shore, pier, bridge, etc. - they will have to get a federal license in addition. Here's a news release from Florida Today

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...D=2008806150336

For All Those Interested - In a press release sent last week from the MSBA, Gov't

Affairs Officer Patrick Paquette ........

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Thursday June 12, 2008

MA Salt Water Fishing Registry (aka: License) Process to Begin

A statement from the Massachusetts Striped Bass Association

This morning, in newspapers across the state, it is being reported

that beginning in 2009, the federal government has announced a plan

through NOAA/Fisheries to institute a recreational angler registry in

states that do not have a salt water angler registration (read:

license), and this includes MA. This action is the result of a

requirement in the Magnuson-Stevens Reauthorization Act passed in

congress last year and has been anticipated for some time. This

announcement will without a doubt trigger the formal process of MA

considering developing a salt water fishing license.

There are many unanswered questions and issues involved in and related

to the upcoming process and MSBA has been preparing our involvement

for over a year. Over the past winter MSBA approached both the head of the MA DMF Sport Fishing Program, Dr. Mike

Armstrong and MA DMF Director Paul Diodati and suggested that the DMF

not wait to be forced into this process by a federal proposal and be

proactive and convene a committee of recreational fishing

representatives to explore options for MA recreational anglers. I am

happy to report that last week, MSBA was invited to participate in

just such a committee. MSBA President Bill Prodouz has appointed MSBA

Past President and Gov't Affairs Officer Patrick Paquette to represent

and also educate and inform the MSBA membership throughout this process.

Historically, MSBA has been opposed to a Salt Water Fishing License

and that position will not change without a vote of the MSBA

Membership. Conversations with and between members both on and off

the floor of MSBA monthly meetings indicates the MSBA membership is

open minded to some sort of registry/license if it contained certain

details that would benefit our fishing community and would not result

in just another tax. Being affiliated nationally with the

Recreational Fishing Alliance also has enabled MSBA to learn about

registry/license details that have and have not worked in other

states. In the coming months, MSBA will communicate accurate

information to our membership via our newsletter and website

www.msba.net and will undergo the process of making decisions and

taking positions. As always, MSBA is prepared for the coming process

and will help lead the MA recreational fishing community through the

upcoming process.

One note of caution: In the coming days and weeks there will be a

great deal of speculation, rumor, confusion and mis-information

written in newspapers and on the internet about the "pending"

registry/license and related processes. MSBA urges all MA

recreational anglers to avoid joining the inevitable emotional roller

coaster and resist the urge to react to every bit of information. Our

state has a fifty plus year history of organized recreational fishing

organizations and the best way to address the issues is through these

organizations that have the experience and relationships needed to

navigate through the political process we now face. In addition to

participating on the MA DMF committee mentioned above, MSBA has

already taken action to provide our membership with accurate

information. At the MSBA membership meeting on June 25th, in addition

to the monthly entertainment, this month supplied by Armand Tetreault

of Rhode Island Poppers, MSBA will shorten it's regular business

meeting in order to hear a 20 minute presentation, without debate,

from the federal agencies developing the angler registration program

announced today.

For more information, attend MSBA monthly meetings, monitor

www.msba.net, read the MSBA monthly newsletter or contact MSBA Gov't

Affairs Officer Patrick Paquette (BasicPAtrick@aol.com).

Thanks for the update on what changes Florida will potentially undergo once the NOAA regulations are applied to that state. Currently Florida residents do not require a license to fish from shore but non-residents do, so there will be some consistency and fairness. As a home owner in Florida but not a resident, I always thought the double standard was unfair.

Redfish

Thanks for the update on what changes Florida will potentially undergo once the NOAA regulations are applied to that state. Currently Florida residents do not require a license to fish from shore but non-residents do, so there will be some consistency and fairness. As a home owner in Florida but not a resident, I always thought the double standard was unfair.

Redfish

Redfish

"non-residents do" Yikes, I've been going down for years and never knew. :banana:

I'm told that Florida has to make a choice. Either change the state lic. regs to require all shore anglers to be required to purchase a state license or; NMFS will require a federal license in the state. No idea what they will do but they only have to Fall to do it but, because of the large number of shore anglers in FL

(more than anywhere else by far) the feds want them recorded one way or the other.