• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
surf rat

Stripers

45 posts in this topic

Sniper Motto - 1 shot 1 kill

Surf Rat Motto - 1 worm 1 fish

Went out this morning fished the river for about 1 hour throwing jigs and softbaits. The wind was almost gale force from the west north west. No action so I decided to get some worms and hit the beach front with the hopes of getting a flounder or two. The wind was tough but it was at my back so I could deal with it. I only had my 6 ft. rod with a 5500 penn but that was enough. I cast my first worm out and a few minutes later was on a 32" 12lb fish. Came home with 1 fish and 11 worms! :mellow:

It's time to get out there and hit the beach!

This early and your first fish.WOW things are looking good once again surfrat you are the man!!

This early and your first fish.WOW things are looking good once again surfrat you are the man!!

Way to go!

I'm planning to try the same spots this week. The shad fishing is still slow anyway.

Took the boat out yesterday for it's first run of the year. Didn't do too much fishing but the fishfinder was lit up pretty good with decent size fish. Also saw some bait splashing and birds working. Also, heard of a few confirmed fish caught on Friday in the river.

Congrats Surfrat! Great way to kick off the year.

DS

Good report, I'll be in the river twice this week and will report, should be pretty good!!!!

Go Bruins

Thanks Bruinsfan, I hope to get down Wednesdday if possible but definately Friday, Sat and Sun...weather permitting. If it's too rough I'll stay here nd work. I'll look for your report and report mine as I get home.

Tight Lines,

DS

It OFFICIAL - the season has started! Way to kick it off Surf Rat - ironically enough I was logging in to give you a little gentle ribbing about getting us started with your first fish but you beat me to it! Congrats and we'll see you out there soon! :mellow:

Surf Rat! I logged on this morning to see if you had posted a report about catching that first fish and you didn't dissapoint! Way to go!

I'm heading out around salem tonight

Way to go Surf Rat! Great way to start the season. :mellow:

Nice Job guys, congrats on the fish. Hope to get out soon. :mellow:

Landed a 34" striper this AM on a Gibbs Pencil. The fish was pretty fat and there were a few others taken that also were well fed. It seems like there is some river herring available for the stripers up river in the Merrimack. I suspect this will be a small fish when the action heats up.

Landed a 34" striper this AM on a Gibbs Pencil. The fish was pretty fat and there were a few others taken that also were well fed. It seems like there is some river herring available for the stripers up river in the Merrimack. I suspect this will be a small fish when the action heats up.

Where were you? I did not see you at the usual locale. Maybe I missed you I got a late start. I heard a 40 lb fish was taken at the dam tuesday night any truth to that?

Weather permitting, I'll be there Friday night for a day or 2. Maybe surfcast on Friday PM and boat it on Saturday. Seems like the time is right to blow off the yard work and wet a line!! :mellow:

I heard there's fish everywhere my buddy caught 3 schoolies over in the saugus river 2day.

Back to the board for the first time in a while (and back to fishing for the first time in a couple years). Pesky things like getting married and buying a house have limited my time the last two summers.

Just moved to Salem, gonna try Devereux Beach Friday morning. Any suggestions for bait, incoming/outgoing, anything like that? I just moved up this way, and this will be my first time trying Marblehead.

Thanks guys/girls and tight lines to all!

Merrimack River, PI

Fishing nightmare for me on Wed. I watched most of the guys get anywhere from 7- 12 fish while I couldn't get a tap.

Thursday I tried again and finally hooked up and managed 3 fish. Most guys there did about the same, Wed. was much better.

My friend fishes Devereux beach all the time he does well there.

Merrimack River PI

Fished 8:00am - 11:00am

Skunked!!!!!!!! :mellow:

Merrimack River PI

Fished 8:00am - 11:00am

Skunked!!!!!!!! :mellow:

Guess I didn't miss anything. Fished the Mystic instead with the same result.

Got 4 this morning down at Sandy Point. Biggest was 26".

fished joppa yesterday afternoon and picked up a half dozen , the largest was 26 inches , it was spotty but there starting to show up :mellow:

Some how I convinced myself to go earlier than I usually go & now I know why I wait. Low temps & east winds kept things

slow & I managed 3 bites & no fish. Saw a few small fish taken & some surface action early in the morning. Should be good

come the end of the month.

Fished near Lot #1 and another spot - couple of schoolies and four keepers 28" - 32", lost two others of comparable size. All on top water plugs (blue/white). Rain drove me away - first time out this season, off to a good start.