• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
QuintFromAmity

Joppa question

11 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of fishing Joppa on Friday. I've never been, so I have some questions. I'm thinking of using a 10' jon boat and paddle out with my brother in law. Would this boat suffice? Next question. Where can I launch? I keep seeing that little ramp next to the house on that road thats about 2 miles from surfland, just past downtown newburyport. Can I launch there? Last question. Do baitfish come into joppa during the high tide? Thank you, Rob

I think it would be safer if you fished off the jetty @ low tide.

A 10' boat is kind of small, but if it's not too rough you can do it. You can launch at the ramp I think you're talking about; that's the best place to do it. The fish are definitely there; recently, they haven't been biting that well, but it's worth a try. There are some big ones out there, so come prepared for that possibility. I would try mackerel chunks and maybe sluggos right now; maybe someone else has some better ideas. Good luck!

I might try it on a calm day. If its a flat bottom its a little iffy but a vhull you should be alrigtht. Bring your pfds. Just stay away from the main channel and the mad house of boats.

Does anyone ever have any luck just throwing anchor and fishing eels at night in the flats? I hear about a lot of drifting, etc for them but I'm not too crazy about drifting in the dark....yet anyways. I know a few holes that seem to hold fish and I want to give it a try. Any info is greatly appreciated.

DS

Does anyone ever have any luck just throwing anchor and fishing eels at night in the flats? I hear about a lot of drifting, etc for them but I'm not too crazy about drifting in the dark....yet anyways. I know a few holes that seem to hold fish and I want to give it a try. Any info is greatly appreciated.

DS

I do, I have a couple of spots in the river that I cant fish properly cause of the current, they hold fish but I will anchor out from them and make 10-15 or more casts up current of the spots and use the drift, these fish are easily spooked so I dont dare move in on them. As far as the flats go, I wouldnt anchor where you see boats drifting and cause the water is rather swallow, spooking fish is a problem, youre best bet is to check the area during daylight and try to come back to the same area and try drifting. I was amazed at how far the sand bar extends at low tide on the south side of the channel

Good luck!!!! ps all the trash will make its way down the river this weekend with all the flooding beware

I'm thinking of using a 10' jon boat and paddle out with my brother in law.

I would be worried about the paddling (or rowing) part. The current gets pretty strong out there. The boat size is a bit small, but you will mainly have to worry about current and other boat's wakes. If you stay on the flats and not "in the river" you would be safer.

DS

Eels can work at night while anchored. If you are anchored it will be harder to work them naturally, but it can be done. You can us a quartering drift trying to keep them on the bottom moving as slowly as possible. Check out the latest On The Water magazine. They have an article on where to target stripers at night on Joppa.

Also, drifting at night is not too bad unless there are a bunch of boats anchored. After a while you get your night vision. Just use those red colored LED head lamps so you don't kill your night vision when you bait up...

I'm thinking of using a 10' jon boat and paddle out with my brother in law.

I would be worried about the paddling (or rowing) part. The current gets pretty strong out there. The boat size is a bit small, but you will mainly have to worry about current and other boat's wakes. If you stay on the flats and not "in the river" you would be safer.

Yeah I treally dont like my brother in law either, lol

DS

Eels can work at night while anchored. If you are anchored it will be harder to work them naturally, but it can be done. You can us a quartering drift trying to keep them on the bottom moving as slowly as possible. Check out the latest On The Water magazine. They have an article on where to target stripers at night on Joppa.

Also, drifting at night is not too bad unless there are a bunch of boats anchored. After a while you get your night vision. Just use those red colored LED head lamps so you don't kill your night vision when you bait up...

I guess I just have to lose the nerves and do it. I am use to fishing with no lights (grew up old school striper fishing in Cape Cod and Cape Hatteras where lights are taboo). I think the thought of not being able to see the water and what's under it scares me a bit. Thanks for the info.

Tight Lines,

DS

I think you'd be much better off having one person row a 10 jon boat than going out there with a couple of paddles. You would be able to maneuver the boat better that way. The biggest worry I'd have going out there in a 10' jon boat would be getting swamped by another boat's wake. There are a lot of people out there that have no regard for others on the water. If you do head out stay up in the flats, wear your PFD and keep the weight load on the boat light. Please be careful out there. One thing you can do in the flats in a boat like that is fish the lower tide levels when everyone else has to go. Just be careful not to get stuck out there.