• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NH Dad

Refuge

17 posts in this topic

In line at Market Basket ran into a Refuge empolee - she said most of the lots are open and available for overnight fishing - Just a FYI B)

That sounds good the greenhead should be gone also. I finaly got some time off work and will fish the refuge will be in amesbury sat-tues. Hear theres big fish around . Im gonin to try joppa at night for the first time hoping to hook large. Any body been fishin joppa? Will report on return.

Tight Lines to all

...... Im gonin to try joppa at night for the first time hoping to hook large. Any body been fishin joppa? Will report on return.

Tight Lines to all

Hey jetstripe I'll be out on Joppa Saturday morning early - hope to have something to post!

I hear you Surf Rat - labor day can't come soon enough for me. Thin out the heard (fisherman), fishing picks up and the Refuge will be wide open, all beaches all day/night. Hope to see you out there soon.

Not surf casting in the refuge, but my a$$ is playing hookie tomorrow and going to bake in the sun on the boat with the fam. I'm sure the fish wont come out to play on such a hot day but I'm gonna make 'em scared anyway. Plan on heading down to Sandy Point and swimming and playing with the kids around the beach. B)

Fished Fri, sat , mon. Just got back from Vac (hot). Friday fished the sandbar in front of surfland no luck surfers, sunbather everywhere looks like that place has great potental for the fall run. Sat fished the river by boat real slow only 3-4 between 23-26" no blues. Mon the fishing was the best day in the river about 10 fish in 3 hours with a couple small keepers did see many boats hooking up.Two of my buddies got 8 keepers up to 40". PS theres stills macks out there the people with the lives where killin'em. I was driftin dead whole.

Does anyone know when the Refuge is going to open up to 4x4? I know it's scheduled for September 1, but the last few years it has been a day or 2 early on the weekend leading up to it. I'm really starting to get the itch now!

Went down to the Refuge last night in hopes that the NPS would have thrown us a bone and opened up a bit early like they've done the past few years for 4x4, but no banana. Ok though as I was prepared to walk too. Went to Lot 3 and got set up with high hopes, a pound of clams, 2 dozen selects, and 3 tinker mackeral. Within a few minutes I had my first hit of the night, a good one, and set the hook. After 2 cranks of the reel, I realized that the aggresive hit was nothing more than a hungry skate. So, if it was skates I was after, than the fishing would have been great! Unfortunately, after 3 1/2 hours of holding my rod, I was awarded with about 12 or so hungry skates and nothing that even started to resemble a fish with fins and scales. I was ready to weather the rain and wind but not ready to be wet for a night of catching only skates. There were still 3 guys out there when I left so I hope they had better luck than I did.

Oh well, there's always next week!

Tight Lines,

DS

DS - I feel your pain! Hit Joppa Flats this morning at 4:30 hoping the storm would have put the feed on but it wasn't to be. With five hours of trolling tube n' worm, tossing sluggos & top water plugs I came up empty - no strikes, bumps nuttin'.

The fish were there but there was noting going on. Funny how a storm can either liven things up or stop 'em cold. Wish I new the recipe as it was beyond frustrating this morning.

When the water up here in Nashua NH is dirty brown colored, & it is, the fishing @ PI is usually not good. Give it a few days but

don't give up. Try dragging around a whole mac on the flats out near the edge of the drop off. I've noticed when people are

chunking & not catching, if you use a whole fish you will entice the fish to bight even when it seems like nothing is around. I've

even caught smaller fish on whole macs (24 - 27") so don't worry about going too large.

While we're talking about the Refuge does anyone know when the gate opens? I hope the haven't cranked the time ahead like the typically do. If anyone knows please post - thanks!

Fished from Hampton, out to 3 miles, back to 20', and south to Sandy Point from the boat....nadda, nuthin, zilch! No bites, nuthin! I was wishing I was on the beach so I could have at least played in the surf. Will be back down tomorrow night until Monday to give it a go from the beach. Big, black Dodge with front rod rack, probably a couple of kids running a muck too, stop by an say "hello"!

Good luck, be safe and tight lines to all who are lucky enough to fish this weekend!

DS

Hey Drum you didn't miss much - from shore that is. Fished the sandbar from 4 am to 7 nadda, nuthin, zilch! No bites, nuthin! So at least you had a ride in the boat for your efforts, I ended up with waders full of water after catching two sided wave. If you haven't fished the sandbar yet you haven't had the pleasure of getting hit by incoming waves from one side of the bar and outgoing wave from the other side. When the two meet the errupt like a volcano - fun stuff B)

Made it to the refuge by 5PM Saturday night and caught a schoolie on the first cast. I thought it was going to be a good night of catching. Well, it was a good night of fishing with my kids, but the catching was not part of the equation. Laid down for a nap at midnight and then the wind picked up....and I mean it REALLY picked up!!Had to get out of a warm sleeping bag to check on gear because i was afraid it was blowing away.

Sunday seemd promising with a nice NE wind and finally some current, but nothing, notta, zilch! Decided to bag the beach and go in the boat today and was happy to find big, gorrila blues. Got 3 before they went into hiding, with the biggest @ 18#'s. Lost an absolute monster right at the boat.....quite possibly the biggest blue fish I've ever seen! They were feeding on small herring (3"-4") and puking them all over the boat.

Tried fro some flounder and stripers for a while but no luck. After 4 days of fishing, we decided to call it a weekend and head home. What will next weekend bring????

I lost my biggest today too. It was taking line like a large striper & then it cut my line. Got a bunch on bait & top water around

30-35 in.