• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
B-REEL-

Surfcaster.com

33 posts in this topic

This web site looks like it is dying & seems to offer very little info lately. How come the web site always says its being updated yet

nothing has changed in years? The pole that asks about fish size on the home page is still there & does nothing. Game Over!

This web site looks like it is dying & seems to offer very little info lately. How come the web site always says its being updated yet

nothing has changed in years? The pole that asks about fish size on the home page is still there & does nothing. Game Over!

Your right. I look on here every now and again. Yet I get absolutely no helpful information. Oh well. It was a good idea that had fizzeled out.

Your right. I look on here every now and again. Yet I get absolutely no helpful information. Oh well. It was a good idea that had fizzeled out.

It may be due to the fact that nobody is catching lots of fish. I've always noticed that this and other boards are very active when guys are catching but very quiet when things are slow.

My log numbers show this year's catch rate is running 45% below last year which ran 30% below 2007. Most of my fishing is in the Mack.

I suppose. Well you guys need to get out there & catch some fish then. It should be getting good soon.

Hey B the site has grown a bit stagnant over the past year and I think the proliferation of "fishing" websites may have something to do with it. This use to be the only site I was a member but know I belong to four and I contribute very little to any. If you look at other websites they seem to have a core group that keeps their sites going but it seems we've lost ours, TattooBob, Onshore, etc. Also, if you look at who does contribute it pretty much one sided or a select few. This has lost it's sense of community.

Yeah, the only part of this site recently that was really active was North Shore and Plum Island, and lately even those have

faded. I think everybody is either over on Striped-Bass or Reel-time. Too bad; I kind of liked the fact that everything here was divided up into areas where you could just look at how your area was doing. Now, I have to look through 20 or 30 posts on Striped-Bass to see how things are going.

I have been on PI all week. Up at first light- down to the jetty after the turn of the tide and it has yielded very little. Met some cool people though. Some reports of solid blues action Tuesday, but not much since. I actually got into into one blitz on Wednesday, late afternoon right before high. landed 3 lost 1. all large schoolies.

If I had the energy I would post the video. On Tuesday at the end of the refuge I caught 20 ghost fish. I would cast out and hook what I thought was a fish. When I reeled it felt like a fish, when I stopped reeling nothing would pull. As soon as I got to the last breaker it would drop. 20 times it did this. Anyone have a clue. I am guessing it was baby blues? no idea.

I was throwing metal that came back with little bite mark.

I have 2 more morning and am praying I hit one day of solid bluefish action.

Hey B the site has grown a bit stagnant over the past year and I think the proliferation of "fishing" websites may have something to do with it. This use to be the only site I was a member but know I belong to four and I contribute very little to any. If you look at other websites they seem to have a core group that keeps their sites going but it seems we've lost ours, TattooBob, Onshore, etc. Also, if you look at who does contribute it pretty much one sided or a select few. This has lost it's sense of community.

A lot of the older guys that helped start this site have gone. Guys like TattooBob, rgreen, Onshore, surfcaster, and a few others where mostly chased off the site by a few people. These guys use to give tons of information and reports. Once those guys left the site went downhill.

wow It is quiet in here...... I havent wet a line all year and only went maybe 3 times last year.....

I was hoping to get a few casts in during the fall run but from what I hear which is almost nothing

the macks were in manchester harbor but no real fish around B)

I will limp out to the PI jetty & see if anything is around tomorrow.

I will limp out to the PI jetty & see if anything is around tomorrow.

You might want to wait a day. I was out in the boat yesterday and the swells were still big. They are still running near 5 feet.

I think members from the past as well as my self drift in and out from the sight but a few have gone, I'm not sure who's driving this site and what keeps it up but eel man was in charge as well as surfcaster, they both have moved on to different things, once in a while eel man shows up here to say hello

I now surfrat still here, he always makes a good effort at fish reports , onshore I think does not live in New England but post on reel-time,

there was a lot of bomb being thrown here on this site a few years back, it turned into a jerry springer show, people dropped out , personel moved on and that may be why there's a slow down here.

any way my over all report for this year is less fish then last year and last year was slow, June was slow when it should of been smoking, july was spotty and most of august oddly was my best month, my fishing is all out of a boat and hve not hit the surf this fall, and the reports I'm hearing are not to good, slow.

I don't fish from the boat too often mainly because I don't have one but the jetty has been very productive for me since May. The

only exception being this month & hopefully I'll be changing that in a few hours. If not I will try Wed also.

I haven't had much luck the month of September on PI so I took a chance up to Rye on Sunday. I didn't hook into many but I had pretty steady action and had a few large bass thrashing my pencil poppers. I know they were good size because a couple came out of the water. With the strong wind at my back and big waves I had a tough time keeping my mono tight. I was shaking the pencils violently and moving it slow and I had quite a few bass just smashing the plug. They weren't biting it just wacking the crap out it with their tails/body. I did catch two borderline schoolie/keepers but missed out on a dozen others. The fish are there, trying moving off the island - find a good looking rocky point and give it whirl.

I don't fish from the boat too often mainly because I don't have one but the jetty has been very productive for me since May. The

only exception being this month & hopefully I'll be changing that in a few hours. If not I will try Wed also.

I just wanted to caution you since the swells were crashing pretty hard on the South Jetty.

The swells were big but not unfishable. There were no fish @ the jetty but I moved north & found blitzing fish.

Kinda sad as this was once a great site.

A little ironic too as when it was in it's heyday there was lots of complaining and rants going on. I miss those days and still come by every now and then to check in.

I remember those days. Every one would argue over who's fish is bigger & who's the best fisherman. Keep in mind there is always someone bigger & badder. I will try today @ PI.

Hey B let us know how you make out! I was down at the rock pile, out going - no luck and off lot #3 - no luck. This was Sunday morning and night, Monday night out on Lot #1. Absolutely nada, with the combination of NW winds and the constant pressure from seals it was a loosing battle. The seals own the beach front now, the cruise the entire length of the beach front from 20 ft out to 200+ yards. I watched them for 2 hours, I counted six seals and I could see them constantly cruising and they were spaced out from Lot 3 up to in front of Surfland.

I'll try my luck along the rocks in Rye, thats the only location I've had any luck as of late and NO SEALS!!!!

Tried lot 3 & Emerson with no luck. There seemed to be a lot of bait off shore of lot 3 because I could see the birds diving but they didn't get close enough. I got the usual @ Surfland, should have been here yesterday (pogies & large bass @ lot # 3 @ sunrise).

Hey B this time of year its all about timing, you almost need a coordinated effort. I could be at lot 1, you on 7 and fish being caught at 3 you just never know as there is no pattern that anyone can rely on. I was at the very spot the night before without so much as a hint of fish. I had yesterday off but decided to sleep in because of the lack luster results the night before - go figure!!!!!!

Each time I went during the day I could see bait, fish, & birds off shore. The activity is probably constant all the time if you can get to it but if your from the shore your best chances seem to be pre dawn. When it gets light the big fish & bait probably retreat to deeper water. My friend went to the canal today & caught fish but when the sun came up nothing.

Each time I went during the day I could see bait, fish, & birds off shore. The activity is probably constant all the time if you can get to it but if your from the shore your best chances seem to be pre dawn. When it gets light the big fish & bait probably retreat to deeper water. My friend went to the canal today & caught fish but when the sun came up nothing.

OK B looks like we're the only ones that are still fishing or posting, so here's my take - look over the weather report for the next three - four day, constant east wind from 5 - 15 mph for 3-4 days. That should bring the bait fish in along with the prey (yeah that means the ugly arsh seals B) ) Also, I recall last year about this time talking with surf Rat and others about the full day blue fish frenzie followed up by two days of great fishing. Anyway, looks good for the weekend - low tide being the exception. Hope to see you out there!!!

This week should be decent too because it is going to warm up a little. The new moon is also just about here & thats when I usually catch bigger fish. I still have a few trips left in me before I quit. Good luck!

We fished Lot 3 this morning and didn't find and fish. We also didn't see any bait or bird action. I plan on trying again next week when it warms up.