• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sckfish

Race Point

6 posts in this topic

Just returned back from 9 day of surf fishing, ... which were best my brother, Doug and I, have had in several years. I arrived mid-day Thursday, Sept 24th and helped my wife's mom with a bunch of 'wintering chores' ... unfortunately, my reward for a day's work was being coated in poison ivy the next day ... but seeing shooting stars every morning, the fish gods smiled upon us as follows:

Friday (Sept 25) - fished the ocean front on PI in front of surfland at sun up ... caught a couple of decent sized blues (6-8 lb) on yellow reverse polaris popper ... action only lasted 20-30 minutes. Spent rest of day walking up and down beach both ways (jetty to fish mouth) and south down to parking lot 3. The blues showed up again in early afternoon (2pm), but unfortunately I didn't get to birds in time having spent to long at turn of tide in river. That nite, wind blowing way to hard and after a few casts of sandbar gave up.

Saturday (Sept 26) - fished ocean front on PI again, but nothing showed. Grabbed a quick bite at Dunkin Donuts, and headed south to pick up Doug at Logan and hit the cape ... we stayed in downtown P-town for the week right on beach overlooking McMillan pier. Walked out to Race Point early evening and had a couple of 'rat' blues (2-4 lbs), but hit way out on metal.

Sunday (Sept 27) - walked out to Race Point ... big bluefish on topwater and metal for 30-40 minutes. Storms picked up with heavy winds (NW) and heavy rains. Stopped by Herring Cove for quick look (nothing) and decided to have chowdah and watch Pats game (good choice) ... not reports of fish anywhere in afternoon.

Monday (Sept 28) - 3rd cast at pre-dawn (5:45am) and caught a 44" (~30 lb ... big belly) bass. For next 30 minutes everyone with bass (all keepahs from 30-44" with lots of 40" bass). Awesome watching bass chase tinker mackeral onto shore. I was fishing with metal (AK27 with white tube) whilel doug using popper. For 1st 3 casts doug couldn't hook up despite gazillions of whacks all way up to beach by swarms of bass (awesome to watch), but frustrating for him (only single hook which he had trouble setting), though he finally hooked up on 4th cast and then switched to metal. Fished our way back from Battleground area but no hits. Walked over to Herring cove and picked up a few blues. Walked back out to Race Point in evening, but nothing doing.

Tuesday (Sept 29) - epic day at 3 locations: (1) pre-dawn - mega bass run again, this time on larger mackeral ... many keepahs caught for 40-50 minutes all on metal (AK27) ... since we're on foot, couldn't keep up with school as they worked way toward High Head, though trucks stayed on school for nearly 2 hrs. (2) We headed over to Herring Cove and were rewarded with a few schoolies, but mostly blues of decent size (6-12 lb mix) for nearly 2 hrs .. fun! (3) After a drive to Head of Meadow (nothing) and bite to eat, headed back to Herring Cove (nothing), but then hit the mother load of monster size alligator blues at the p-town breakwater ... from 5:30pm to nearly 8pm we had blues up to 40" (16-18 lbers) hitting anything you threw at 'em ... only 4 other guys fishing with us, and a blast to watch hammer plugs and bustin tackle. Again, 'epic day' of fishing!

Wednesday (Sept 30) - Race point by 5:30am ... a few small blues, but that was it ... no bass. Head over to Herring Cove and nailed a few more blues. Headed out to Nauset Inlet for afternoon dropping tide (nothing) and pick up another friend. Nothing rest of day anywhere, except great chowda, lobstah, and company hanging with Doug and friend Mike.

Thusday (Oct 1) - blowout ... we were supposed to head out at 7am on 10-hr charter out of Truro for half-day bass and half-day tuna ... Capt called any cancelled due to high winds (NW 20 mph) and prospect of poor fishing ... we appreciate an honest capt! Unfortunately, meant we missed morning bite at Race Point (heard they had monster blues for 30 minutes). Checked out Herring Cove, too (nothing).

Friday (Oct 2) - made trek out to Race Point ... blues for 20 minutes and over. Checked out Herring Cove for a couple hours for a few small blues, but that was it. Decided to take gamble and go out on p-town charter afternoon action given awesome tide (dropping) and wind (SW 5 mph). Great Choice .... caught lots of keepah bass up to mid-20's lbs with lots of fillets to bring home. Bass stacked like cords of wood 200-300 yards off of Race Point.

Saturday (Oct 3) - storms blew in big time ... some keepah bass and blues out at Race Point, but we decided to play it safe (t-storms forecast) and fished Herring Cove for a few more small blues. Packed up and checked out backside beaches on drive back. Found out huge schools of blues worked south starting at Head of Meadow (10am) thru Newcomb (11am) and LeCont Hollows (12pm) down to Nauset Inlet (2pm) on Friday ... would have been fun, but good choice on boat for keepah bass instead.

Summary - best week of fishing in past several years ... normally we go 3rd week of October, may go same time next year. Every morning at Race Point (pre-dawn) we had fish (keepahs or blues) ... definitely worth walk out to Battleground. Each day more and more buggies showes (20, 50, and over 100 by Tuesday) ... still plenty of room. Seals around but didn't bother us too much this year ... no casualties. Staying in p-town made travel to Race Point, Herring Cove, or Breakwater easy (less than 10 minutes). Definitely an awesome place to fish. Thanks to Seals, Nauset Inlet (best place on planet from 1995-2006) now RIP. It's dead with all bait fish and bass kept off sure by seals ... perhaps the 8+ GW sharks that showed up are a sign of times to come. Hopefully nature corrects this soon and bass return to outer beaches. In meantime, definitely give Race Point a shot. Outstanding fishing and opportunity to speak with fellow fisherman .. made many new friends out their this week! Bill (onshore) - we thought and spoke often of you this past week ... you were there with us! Brought back many pleasant memories. I'll try to post a few pictures when I get more time, including the 30lber and tinker mackeral scattered on beach with all the buggies.

Tight Lines - Steven C Koenig

Great report.

Nice to hear from you again.

Excellant Report - thanks Sckfish, it's good to hear about somebody getting into some great fishing. It's been a bit of a ghost town up this way this past week. Love to have one of any the days you had!!!

great report!

Was that you I talked to on the Firday 9/25?

It was on the beach front. I was the guy that had just got married. Was there on my honeymoon/fishing trip.

Attached is picture of 43" bass caught on 3rd cast of morning pre-dawn on AK-27 metal. Bass were chasing tinkers right up onto beach ... also have pix of tinker macs littered on beach.

Yep, I spoke with some folks at PI on Friday/Saturday about trip to Race Point ... looks like it was a great move ... we caught fish every morning we walked out to race point (~2 mile), though some days more action than others.

Seals weren't nearly as bad a problem up there this year. One morning their were a dozen, but all had fish in their mouths ... with nearly 100-150 people fishing, they were catching released fish and gorging themselves. It was weird to watch one seal chase a 40" bass right up along the shore line .. don't know if it eventually escaped. Regardless, seals destroyed the Outer Beaches, and Race Point this year has been exceptionally good for the 1st time in past 2-3 years, though, not like it's been previously. The Great Whites and nature will eventually correct the oversized seal population ... just need to be patient.

Traditionally, we fish the 3rd week of October, and the fishing can be spectacular with blitzes at Race Point and Herring Cove that can last all day long with keepah bass out far and jumbo blues in close. We've had all day blitzes (over 16 hrs long) lasting several days in a row. Also, if running beach, you can chase them thru High Head, Head of Meadow, and the Hollows. Don't know what happened at PI this year ... thought for sure there'd be fish thru end of October, but doesn't appear to be that way so far.

Good Luck ... I'd rather be up your way fishing (and not catching) than back home in southern Indiana. Hope others will post more often .... it's sad to see number/details of posts fall off so dramatically on surfcaster ... I've been a member for a long time and still post whenever we return north (2-3 times a year) ... successful fishing requires passion and confidence and a dormant site doesn't help instill much of either. It's a long winter coming soon ... fish hard!

Steven C. Koenig

post-368-1255180977_thumb.jpg

post-368-1255181007_thumb.jpg

Sckfish - good move indeed, would like to see a few of those great whites up this way. Use to be you might see a seal or two through out the entire season - now I see two or three every outing. We had a really good spring up on PI this season, big fish off the new sand bar, not allot of little fish like in years past. The sandbar took us right thru til June/July, then there was the flats but this fall - el crapo'. Not sure if its been the constant off shore winds, bigger bait out further, bad karma, who knows.

I hope this site picks up again it was always a wealth of imformation, good advice and very knowledgable folks. There are quite a few sites out there now and they all have there own appeal. Could have something to do with the lack of fish or just lack of interest in the site. Good to see you posting - nice finish to the season - take care.