• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Door#3

Memorial Day Weekend in the River

14 posts in this topic

We fished the bottom of the outgoing tides on Sunday night and Monday morning. In both cases it was excellent, but Sunday was the best I've seen in the river. We threw back so many keepers I lost count. The fish were busting on the surface all over the place. I had 5 rods going and we had all 5 of them hooked up several times. We tried worms, clams, and strips of Mackerel flesh. All worked. Almost all the fish we caught were keepers or just short of being so.

On Sunday we saw lots of people taking them on live Macs. We did well again, but the size of the fish was much more variable ranging from 10" to 31".

Nice report Door, sounds like a good outing. Gave it go on Monday morning down the other end of the Island - rather discouraging as the sand bar has grown and slowed the river down more than last year. The water was choked full of debris - leaves, pine needles, etc. - there is a few tons of it on shore and it looks like it gets washed in at high tide and flushed back out on the out going. Did manage a few fish out front all on top water plugs.

I did not get out this weekend but the week before I was seeing large schools of fish heading up river in the haverhill section. All the fish I have picked up have been in the high 20" to low 30" range.

Door 3 u were in u're boat correct.when u did well.The river has been slow and i know the fish r out with tink macks and there was a biltz yesterday or the day b4 ocean front.

I was there sunday morning river we got the bottom of the tide. Fish all over we used mac, tinkers and cut caught about 15 lost a couple others. All the fish where 26+ with the biggest being 37in 20lbs. Kept a couple for the grill the rest where released live and well.

Fished the outgoing with macs this morning got about a dozen fish. 6 were 28-32 kept a couple. Other boats were doing well also

I got out this morning 6/3 and my dad and I had a great morning. 20 bass caught with 4 keepers biggest going 14lbs. Fish were hitting small sand eels on the surface. sluggos did the trick on them. When fish were not busting on the surface we caught them drifting worms. All in all a great morning.

Sounds like a great outing mike. I might try the river from shore sunday. Hope the bite is still as good.

I got out this morning 6/3 and my dad and I had a great morning. 20 bass caught with 4 keepers biggest going 14lbs. Fish were hitting small sand eels on the surface. sluggos did the trick on them. When fish were not busting on the surface we caught them drifting worms. All in all a great morning.

Nice job Mike. You really have it dialed in. Must be fun to get out with your dad.

Went out yesterday on my boat at about 1.30 birds were dive bombing everywhere sea was rough.we tried sabiki rig nothing and trolled a bit nothing as well.Didn't c any fish break during the whole ordeal.They were feed on something small i wonder if they were sand eels. anyway lighting,thunder wind i was out of there like a prom dress.Made it to the dock with no time 2 spare.I put on my last tie down when all hell broke loose.

Went out yesterday on my boat at about 1.30 birds were dive bombing everywhere sea was rough.we tried sabiki rig nothing and trolled a bit nothing as well.Didn't c any fish break during the whole ordeal.They were feed on something small i wonder if they were sand eels. anyway lighting,thunder wind i was out of there like a prom dress.Made it to the dock with no time 2 spare.I put on my last tie down when all hell broke loose.

That sounds like sand eels. If they are keyed on them it is hard to get them to hit other things, but it can be done. At this time of year I don't fish unless it is on the outgoing during the last half of the tide, all the way to the bottom. That is when they seem to feed. As the season progresses strong incoming tides near the mouth can be really hot too. At 1:30 you were on the incoming tide which is a really tough time to fish the river at this time of year. Watch the tide charts and time your fishing around them if you can. You'll catch a lot more fish.

It was take your boat to work day yesterday (I work in Newburyport), with a plan to hit the water around 5. Huge thunderstorm, black clouds, lightning around 5 - 5:30. Checked the forecast, seemed like more lightning for the balance of the evening. Cancelled fishing and trailered the boat home to Pelham. All the way home, sun kept breaking out, just to rub my nose in it. I'm pretty sure I made the right call, aluminum boat holding graphite rods probably not the place to be when lightning is all around. Still no stripers for me yet this year - latest date in the season I can remember. Going Sunday AM, leaving the house at 5:30. Spahn and Sain and pray for NO RAIN!

Broke the skunk today - 5 stripers, 20, 24, 26, 28 and 30.

Fish hit chunk mackeral or clams. Latest in the season for my first striper of the year

Broke the skunk today - 5 stripers, 20, 24, 26, 28 and 30.

Fish hit chunk mackeral or clams. Latest in the season for my first striper of the year

Nice