• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HAWKEYE

Sorry experience at PI today

6 posts in this topic

Well what a day.

My son and I had our first chance to get to the river today and it was quite a day.

Got to the river around 11:30AM and set up up-river from the sand bar. I caught a small schoolie on about my third or fourth cast, for me that has been a sort of kiss of death to catch one that soon after arriving. And so it was, didn’t catch another while we were there. Had only one other hit. But was having a great day with my son.

After the tide change things got interesting weather wise. The wind came on shore, but the weather from the West was looking ominous, dark gray with a hint of what was to come.

By this time many of the people who were there packed it in and left. Leaving maybe 10 to fifteen of there. Then the water started to have a mini-blitz. It moved up and down the area below the Capt’s Lady for about 45 minutes. And those that were there proceeded to cast to the fish. My son was successful and landed a nice, fat 29-inch fish, perfect size for supper. As the boiling was still going on and I hadn’t connected we put the fish up on-shore behind our gear bags. And again proceeded to fish down the shore as the fish moved down the river. When we got back to our gear where we left his fish, we discover that his fish was gone. The only thing I can hope is the whoever took the fish ( and I am absolutely certain of this!!) really, really, really needed that fish! In all of my 50 plus years of fishing, nothing even close to this has ever happened to me, and I can’t even remember if anyone I know has had it happen to them. It sure puts a different light on the PI experience. I have always enjoyed chatting with other people on the beach, comparing notes and stories. I won’t stop fishing PI but I will be more careful from now on and certainly won’t stray too far from my gear and fish.

Again, a very, very sad individual is roaming around the shoreline. I would hope that if someone had seen this happening they would have said something to the person or persons.

Just my two cents,

HAWKEYE

:rolleyes:

I was there from 11 till that blitz.I was around the turn.That really is a scummy thing 2 do.I can't believe someone would do that :rolleyes: Next time if u do go try some sort of sack i've seen people put fish in bags or if u had a sand spike tie the fish to it.Though if someone had the balls 2 do what they 2 u the stuff i mention probaly wouldn't do good but at least if u saw someone taking a bag it would set a red flag.Sorry about u're experince.

i

Sorry to hear of your experience. It seems odd that someone would take the fish and leave the gear. Maybe the person(s) thought it was a short fish and tossed it back. Still doesn't give anyone the right to touch another persons stuff.

At least you had a good days fishing.

I would like to think that the fish escaped! Flip flopping it's way back into the water.

A good size gull could be the culprit also.

But anything is possible. Thieves usually take everything.

We caught a gull dragging our 32" fish up the dune a couple of years ago. It would not have been long before that fish was nowhere to be found. We had to pay constant attention because he kept coming back.

We caught a gull dragging our 32" fish up the dune a couple of years ago. It would not have been long before that fish was nowhere to be found. We had to pay constant attention because he kept coming back.

I had a fox stalking me one night, right behind me less than 10' at times, I hear from locals there are a few that do very well on the island side. Sorry for your loss