• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NH Dad

Kayak Report

9 posts in this topic

OK so after reading numerous reports from the Kayak guys I finally got one of my own. Learning allot and having fun at it; I'm a newbie once again. Went out twice this past weekend, once on my own and another with my son. First time out was Friday night on Joppa - as soon as I hit the water the wind picked up and I literally sailed from the boat ramp to woodbridge island - my paddle never touched the water except to keep me going straight. Major difference between shore and yak fishing...from shore when the weather turns you pack up your gear and head home...from the yak you don't have allot of options. Fished behind woodbridge island for the majority of the night picking up my first two fish on tube and worm. The wind picked up and there was no moon so it was pitch black.... I hit the panic button - paddled my way back to the ramp through the grass so I wouldn't get swamped. As luck as it I was done by the time I hit the ramp which was ironic because the wind died completely and it was the turn of high tide.

Went out Saturday night with my son - his first time - we trolled tube and worm for about two hours without a hit. Right at sun-down I hooked up but lost it before getting to the yak. About a half hour later just after my son said "admit Dad these things (tube n worm) don't work" we both hooked. Unfortunately my son set his rod down to straighten out his kayak and his fish was off. I landed my which was about 34". We continued to spook massive amount of fish but couldn't hook up - called it around 10, great night to be on the water, cool breeze and clear sky.

still have trouble with the tube and worm.... just can't get myself to tie one on....

still have trouble with the tube and worm.... just can't get myself to tie one on....

I tried it last year for the first time but gave up after a half hour - was feeling a bit foolish. However, gave it another shot this year and it's paid off on both occassinos. Also the T&W can produce some big fish - try a 24" Tube and a big select or two and you will not be disappointed. I'm a big fan of the T&W now.... :rolleyes:

I've caught big stripers and blue fish on Tube and Worm on leadcore. Barracuda love em too, but we don't get many Barracuda up here - except my Mother in Law but that's another story :rolleyes:

Give the tube a chance. It really does work and at times works very well. I don't know if the fish think it's an eel or a really big worm but it will work on bass and blues if given a chance. I don't kayak fish but can see where the tube and worm would be deadly under the stealthy power of the paddle.

Be careful out there on the yak. Try to have light yourself up as much as possible so the boaters can see you.

Sounds like you are having fun.

try trolling live eels, or slug-gos, or slap the water with your paddle and cast in the direction the fish swim to you won't be disappointed

try trolling live eels, or slug-gos, or slap the water with your paddle and cast in the direction the fish swim to you won't be disappointed

Hey Tattoo - long time no see!! Hope you're doing well, have you been tossing the old Parrot Needle Fish much? Now that I've success with the T&W I might give the Sluggo's a second chance as well. Never had much success with them but like the T&W I think they deserve a second chance.

He, great to hear from you - hope to see you out there this fall!

So NH Dad is a "yaker" these days. I never did see you on the river sandbar in May and the kayak I guess explains it. Nice to hear you and your son are enjoying the kayak and getting into some fish. I own a Hobie Outback but keep it in Florida where I fish the backcountry for snook, tarpon and redfish. Next year I have to figure a way to get it back to Massachusetts and get into the Joppa experience. I have been fishing Joppa (night/early morning) a few days each week from a boat and have been getting into a LOT of stripers. I can see the Kayak guys out there also getting into big fish and having a lot of fun. But it now looks like the majority of striipers have moved out to the mouth?

Yea felt like I was missing out on allot of action so I took the plunge. Even though I've only be at it for a short time I think the fish on the flats must get pretty spooked by this time of the year. There's allot of trafic out there and still quite a few fish. If you can get out before the weekend the fishing is a bit easier. Although I've been itching to get out on the refuge ....just waiting for them to open up the lots.