• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
eel man

Summer/Fall 2010 - Surfcaster.com Updates

18 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, couple of fairly big Surfcaster.com announcements I wanted to talk about.

First off: Who am I?

Some of you may remember me from nearly ten years ago when this site took on the shape it has now. Actually you may or may not know this, but I'm the original developer of the site. For one reason or another, I moved on and just checked in from time to time. Over the past ten years or so, I've had little to do with the site aside from stepping in to fix issues that arose as browsers evolved and pages started to break.

For the most part, the site has not changed... at all.

Yeah, so...

Well, I'm happy to say that I've just teamed up again with Zebrina to basically take lead as developer for the site. It needs so much work, but I have some great ideas on what we can do. There are a few things that need to be done right off the bat:

1 - Update forum software. This board is very, very old and is limited to what you folks can do. It is also subject to hammering by spammers. It needs to be updated. Please be aware that it may seem like a huge change at first, and things may not be exactly like they are now. I'll do my best to get everything back in order, but the core update is not anything we can avoid.

2 - Add a gallery section. With the updated forums should come a gallery tool for users to post pictures and movies. The photo section of the main site is so antiquated that the code is starting to no longer function correctly as server updates are released.

3 - Update main website core. This is one of the bigger projects, but the main site desperately needs a face-lift and code update. the pages are not accessible, compliant or browser friendly.

4 - Add an online catalog. After talking with Zebrina, this was bubbled up to the top of the 'need now' list. There have been numerous request from shoppers and suppliers to get some sort of commerce system in place. I'm looking at options now.

I know there are bunch of die-hard users that have stuck it out, but are getting frustrated with one thing or another. I'd love to start a discussion on what some of these things are. Let's try not to make this a "###### session", but more of a "I'd like to see this" discussion. Please post here with your comments or feedback.

Cheers!

:rolleyes:

Thanks man!

I want to move quickly on the forums updates. It's going to be different, but like I said I'll try and modify the interface to be as similar to this as I can.

Do you have any input on the forums? Things you like, don't like?

Cheers!

welcome back man, good see this happen, I guess you could say it's like the rising of the titanic :rolleyes:

one thought I have is maybe some how attach a live web site to this website, I sometimes check out a webcam before I head out on a trip to see if there's fog banks or a lot of chop in the water, there is a cam for newburyport and sailsbury.

I think there is one we can add.

I'm also adding a lot of social media items to keep you all updated (if you choose). Things like facebook connect, rss feeds, mobile updates.

the forums are first, because these are going to be the most "instant gratification" moving forward. The new forum software is way better. It allows media uploads, subscriptions, and is search-friendly. This software is not being indexed as much as it should be.

As you can see, the changes are beginning. I've updated the core of the forums, and after nearly six hours of debugging... everything looks to be running smoothly. Please post any bugs or feedback. I'm going to still be updating the interface a bit to make it as useful (or more) than before.

Also, you will notice the page locations have changed (url). This is one of the bigger changes I implemented. This will allow search engines to better index pages, and dive a little deeper into the site. The old paths are still accessible, so we don't lose any traffic with broken links. The user is just seamlessly directed to the updated location.

Also, you will notice little social icons on post pages. I recommend you all to use them! This will definitely get the forum content out there, and has proven to drive traffic.

Also, also - I'm updating the user profiles to be way more useful. I encourage you all to look at your profiles and update the info.

Also, also, also - I'm updating the size of images users can post. I've seen some complaints regarding this.

Hit me up with your feedback.

Cheers...

Welcome back and thanks for addressing the issues. This site has a good crew, interested in sharing ideas, successes and skunks as well. Glad to see the effort to keep the site going.

By the way, I'm going to be implementing a forum homepage like the one we had before. I know most users prefer that sort of overview screen.

-a

Just posted a couple of bug-fixes. Keep sending me any you may come across. I'm going to try and clean up the interface a bit today.

Cheers

I can't believe it!1st off there was a few of us that stayed here,but i got too tell ya this year was dishearting in here 4 me.I think u have a bit of work ahead of ya to rebuild but i think u got a good core that will stick by u.By the way i still have my surfcaster shirt from the 1st meet at the refuge.I think that was the only 1 as well know?Well lets get this ship uprighted and back sailing like it's suppose too.Good to cya. Rick :)

Way to go Eel Man! Glad to see that the site is going to get an upgrade. I don't have any input other than keep doing what your doing. I've just taken on another full time job by going to school at night so my fishing season is likely over and I don't have much time to check out the forums. I'm really happy to see the new changes already though and will look forward to checking in from time to time to see how things are going.

Thanks folks. I have a ton that I want to do. Updating the forums was the first step.

As always, I'd love some feedback on what you all want or don't want. I'll get this suck'ah back up there.. ;)

Just an FYI; we traffic is picking up since the latest round of updates. It looks like the new interface and search optimization is doing it's thing.

Good stuff... !

My 1st time back in about a year and looks good but of course a little slow in January ;-)

How is Zabrina?

I will check back on as spring gets closer.

gbt